cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow broadband

pegasus20
Grafter

slow broadband

i am a new member on here and never had any problems with my broadband untill the last few weeks.....any way after contacting plusnet to try and find the problem they got back to me today with this.....
Thank you for your query.  I have checked your account and it appears that you have a potential fault on the line, what is known as LTB or Low Threshold Breach Fault.  This is where your broadband Sync Speed from the Local BT Exchange, is slower then the Fault Threshold that BT puts on the line currently:  - Fault Threshold Rate: 2739 kb - Current Sync Rate: 283 kb
i will be honest i know nothing about these sort of things i am in my 40,s and computers were not really around when i was at school but i have tried to learn but this is something well out of my league....could anyone tell me what happens next if anything
many thanks..
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: slow broadband

Hi and welcome to the forums!
Looking at the ticket and your account I can see you've been through the faults troubleshooter, this will pass a fault report though to our team here who'll pick it up, test the line and pass the fault through to our suppliers where needed.
Your line generally looks quite stable (it doesn't disconnect too much) however over the last day there seems to have been a burst of disconnections, have you noticed these at all?
Your line is currently banded, which is why you can't connect higher, it's on the lowest band shown here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles - due to the instability I wouldn't suggest that we just attempt to remove this band either.
The next steps will be for our faults team to perform some further line tests, they'll then decide whether to try and remove the banding or raise this fault through to our suppliers for further investigation/

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pegasus20
Grafter

thanks for the reply...
the only other thing i can think of is a new housing estate across from me is being developed,but the exchange is about a mile away so i don,t know if this construction may have an affect,,neighbours don,t seem to have any bother but most are now on fibre,which my husband and i are considering but we want to save up so we don,t get unexpected bills changing from our phone provider to plusnet.....
it has just been stressfull because i can,t do online banking as the speed is so slow the page won,t load....so any remedy will be appreciated...
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@pagasus20
Don't give up luv I'm 65 and I've learnt more in the last 25 years than the fist 40  Grin Grin Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pegasus20
Grafter

i,m trying other half uses it more than me...but does not know this in depth stuff....but after speaking to a friend they are recommending getting rid of our plusnet router and buy our own,or just suffer untill we decide on fibre and who to get it with... Undecided
PeterLoftus
Pro

My advice is use the forum here along with the faults team  Smiley
The plusnet staff here and the knowledgeable customers will not require you to know all the buzzwords or jargon to give you solid help  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro

I've just got fibre after having ADSL with Plusnet

I've always used the Plusnet standard technicolour routers with no problems  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pegasus20
Grafter

i think it,s our crappy bt line we fought bt for 3 years to upgrade the exchange to get standard broadband and we had to do the same for fibre which was completed about 4 months ago......i just hope whatever the problem is..it gets sorted and hopefully without any cost to me already bought new filters cables and had the computer checked thinking it was our equipment.....but thanks for the advice though.. Wink
pegasus20
Grafter

well all i can say is after two solid days of problems and very little contact from plusnet apart from chris ive decided to get rid of plusnet the service from customer service is a sham and i am now thinking why the hell am i paying for something i cannot use properly....i cant do no banking so now i am going to have to mess about going to the bank in the morning to pay bills also i can,t even get on to a parcel site to track a package i am waiting for so good service plusnet lost yourself a customer due to your own ignorance...
Chris
Legend

It'd be a shame to lose you as a customer based on having a fault, it's also worth noting that if this is a line fault then it'll be likely to carry over with you to whichever ISP you move to. I'm going to take another look at your fault now and see what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

The line is actually looking a lot more stable than it was the previous day, however it's still banded which is why you are seeing the lower speeds. Due to the increased stability I'm going to reset the line, which will attempt to remove the banding. This should happen within the next 5 minutes.
pegasus20
Grafter

thank you chris broadband seems a lot better already....problem is my husband is ex military and he thinks things should be done straight away like when he was serving,but i think he was more annoyed because no one really said what was going to be done or when lack of communication he calls it......
anyway i appreciate your help chris...seeing as your the only one who seems to of bothered to do anything......... Wink
Chris
Legend

No problem. I think there is deeper issue that might be good to get resolved, so I've left the fault ticket open for them to look into. For now though at least your connection is back to a workable speed.
pegasus20
Grafter

ok chris...thank you Wink