cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow broadband (~300k) for over a week

vericode

slow broadband (~300k) for over a week

Its been over a week since moving house, and i've been stuck on ~300k since. i went through the sync process by plugging into master socket and was assured that some one over there would press their buttons and do whatever they do, and my speed would increase to normal (~16MBish), it hasn't.

I have tickets open but there's been no resolve, and it seems the only option is now to fork out ££ for an engineer...

This is after being a customer for 6 years, moving house and being forced into a new 2 year contract, i would expect a little more from a customer support point of view, and certainly not have to pay for an engineer after renewing a contract!

Could this be escalated / actioned please? As i'm losing faith, and would rather just migrate to another provider to get it sorted with a fresh start.

1 REPLY 1
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: slow broadband (~300k) for over a week

Hi,

You'll only be charged for an engineer if they find that the fault is in your domain - that is why there is a series of user checks which you are asked to perform before requesting an engineer.  Lets check the basics and gather some facts first...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.