cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should plusnet be offering better routers with their broadband?

weejake1
Grafter

should plusnet be offering better routers with their broadband?

with faster wifi speeds available ie. 5ghz and simultainious daul band wifi ......my question is ...as plusnet are a sister company of BT, shouldnt, they be offering the same class of router as BT..?
62 REPLIES 62
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: should plusnet be offering better routers with their broadband?

There is no such thing as a free lunch. BT Retail broadband is somewhat more expensive than PlusNet's offer.
The TG582n performs well for the majority of users.  For those who want more, there are lots of devices on the market for individuals to select, including the hh5... Not that I'd want anything with a BT badge on it!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Townman
there are lots of devices on the market for individuals to select, including the hh5... Not that I'd want anything with a BT badge on it!

Or the talk talk super router (hg635). I've been running one, on Plusnet fibre, for the past 3 weeks and it's performed well.
I so agree about the BT badge  Cheesy
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I seem to have acquired a warm  Glow  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

But is the WiFi any good. I see it's at least got simultaneous 2.4/5Ghz
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Yes, but the 5Ghz is limited to ac - I believe that many exiting 5GHz clients (eg iDevces)  are only n standard @5 GHz so it is a disappointing restriction. Otherwise it looks like a good competitor against the Fritz!box 3970 for functionality, except that also does ADSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

weejake1
Grafter

ok so i see conclusions can be drawn on price of broadband......
i pay for full fttc speed plus i pay for the pro add-on.......which brings the price of my plusnet broadband in line with that of BT full speed fttc ...who offer the home hub 5 with the dual band wifi...
what do i get for all that money ....the TG582n.....
this is the same router as the man who pays for 38Mb speeds.....which is incidently cheeper than the 76mb.
there are no perks here....i pay for what im intitled to recieve....
i have been with Plusnet for 10yrs..... there is no loyality perks either.....no-one ever phones you to say we are doing a offer would you like it....they are quite happy to let you pay the full wack until the end of time...no matter what offers are ,unless you go looking for the offer..
i dont pay plusnet for cheeper broadband ....i pay them for quality broadband and i believe i should be offered a quality router with the package...
does anyone agree?
30FTTC06
Pro

Just for laffs ....
30FTTC06
Pro

Quote from: weejake1
ok so i see conclusions can be drawn on price of broadband......
i pay for full fttc speed plus i pay for the pro add-on.......which brings the price of my plusnet broadband in line with that of BT full speed fttc ...who offer the home hub 5 with the dual band wifi...
what do i get for all that money ....the TG582n.....
this is the same router as the man who pays for 38Mb speeds.....which is incidently cheeper the 76mb.
there are no perks here....i pay for what im intitled to recieve....
i have been with Plusnet for 10yrs..... there is no loyality perks either.....no-one ever phones you to say we are doing a offer would you like it....they are quite happy to let you pay the full wack until the end of time...no matter what offers are ,unless you go looking for the offer..
i dont pay plusnet for cheeper broadband ....i pay them for quality broadband and i believe i should be offered a quality router with the package...
does anyone agree?

You pay for pro-add-on, why?
weejake1
Grafter

prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

weejake1,,  the pro add on will not ! make your online gaming better , it just prioritizes some connections
"With Plusnet Pro latency is lower and ping times are quicker than standard broadband"  nope not true it made no difference to my ping when i had it 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
weejake1
Grafter

well i didnt know that.... but the plusnet rep should have, when i inquired about about it.
thanks..i will remove it now..
but the topic is about better routers with the fttc.
i am struggling to accept that plusnet cant do better.....maybe im wrong to suggest this..
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

This has been raised for years now. They don't want to change from the 582, "it suits most of the users" is the standard answer. If it is unsuitable then you have to buy your own.
We have had several threads on here about how abysmal they are, in my case I could get 5Mb NEXT to the router on wifi. If I went out of the room then I just lost it completely. It made no difference what channel it was on either.
I am currently using a TG589 which is a much better router, but they were supplied for a trial only and it was abandoned or not implemented as the new standard for fibre.
weejake1
Grafter

11110_110
whats the MediaAccess TG799vn v2 5GHz Xtream
are you saying plusnet can offer this if they wanted to?Huh
All4One
Grafter

Just go to ebay, do a 5mile radius and find a home hub 3 for about 5quid. Sorted. Worked for me.