cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i change my account?

curati
Grafter

should i change my account?

i currently pay 14.99 a month and use at most 3gb.
My use of the internet is pretty much for browsing and streaming.  I just wondered if it was possible for me to move to the 9.99 account and did other customers think it would be worthwhile.
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable

Re: should i change my account?

I am no expert but I changed from the Broadband Plus product to PAYG Option 1 and have made arrangements to pay a further £1 for an extra GB if I go over rather than have the connection slowed down.  So far I haven't needed the extra although 1GB only equates to about 32MB per day.  If you made similar arrangements I suppose you would be paying £12.99 for up to 3GB so there would be a small saving.  Midnight to 8 a.m. is free so that is a bonus if you want to do some downloading.
paulby
Grafter

If you moved and payed in advance for 3GB that would be £9.99  for 1GB plus 2 x 75p for the extra 2GB i.e. a total of £11.49.  May be worth thinking about.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
For the type of usage you mention Option 1 would give you the same experience as your current product.
As such you could get 3GB of usage for 11.99, or move a little of your usage into off peak and save even more. Smiley
Wheel_nut
Grafter

This is exactly the user that PlusNet does not cater for. For £11-99, NewNet offer 3GB of Data Transfer usage on a completely unthrottled and unfettered ADSL Max line.
Of course, there is no free off-peak period and when you reach your absolute limit you pay for more rather than get throttled to 128Kbps.
I have exactly this requirement and had to move to NewNet to get it. Now if PlusNet PayG was £9-99 Unthrottled with 1GB included Data Transfer and additional GBs at £1 in arrears or £0.75 in advance, I would come back.  Smiley
James
Grafter

Hi,
Whilst I can't offer you a completely unthrottled service, as you'll be more than aware, I would like to hear what you actually use the internet for and why you require this to be completely unthrottled (that isn't meant to sound condescending in any way!).  Is it the P2P speeds that would be of concern to you on option 1, or is it something that I'm not thinking about?
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi James,
The straight answer is that I don't need a completely unthrottled service. Using <3GB per month, you will appreciate that I don't really download very much and I don't use p2p.
What puts me off the BBYW Option 1 is that it provides a 1 star experience and therefore any comment on speed could elicit the response "why don't you upgrade to Option n".
Your competition is providing a 5 star experience for 3GB users for £11-99 a month (or a 1GB allowance for £9-99 on an annual contract) and that remains the best option for this large niche.
For users for whom a FIXED monthly outgoing is an imperative, PlusNet's BBYW Option 1 is excellent and indeed I have signed my daughter up for this. For someone like me who wants what he wants when he wants it and is willing to pay for his usage, your offering is PayG and that starts at £14-99.
I hope this helps you with your next Product refresh.
R
James
Grafter

Hi again,
I can sincerely promise you that I would never start off a speed troubleshooting query with a "Well, you are on option 1" statement unless you were referring directly to P2P speeds.  In fact, I actually did some testing on Option 1 management levels last week and I'm happy to report that I noticed no change in throughput speeds at all.  In fact, I actually recorded my fastest result to date on http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
The 1 star experience does not relate to web browsing or other similar protocols.  It's the P2P/Usenet experience that it's referring to.  Why not try the 90 day guarantee?  If it doesn't suit you, you can alwyas migrate out again within the first 90 days and then we'll refund your subscription fees.
If you want a chat over the phone, I'd be more than happy to give you a ring.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Thank you for your kind offer James. I have the benefit of being able to monitor my daughter's BBYW Option 1 conection so I will ve able to get a feel for the service.
I moved my account at the turn of the year because I needed to devote my attention to a family matter without the distraction of my Utility services. I have the time to play here again now.  Smiley
For a 3GB user who uses p2p and Usenet, the £11-99 Newnet offering is still unbeatable. I agree that for me, since I don't use p2p or Usenet, I probably wouldn't notice the difference on BBYW Option 1. However, inertia keeps me there and a nagging memory of the problems I had with BB+ before I upgraded to PayG tells me to stay with a premium connection even if it were to cost me a bit more.
Having said all of that, I do prefer the PlusNet Portal and the ability to see and set my connection parameters. I still remain a potential BBYW customer.  Undecided
Keep up the good work...... R