cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router

swallowpattie

router

Just had broadband enstalled.  All OK but should there be a high pitched noise from router?
Its the same wherever I put it .Any advice
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: router

Welcome to the forum swallowpattie
One of the Digital Care guys on here will probably request it back and a replacement be sent out to you.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Have a look at this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114585.0.html
Or this one http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114706.0.html
or this one http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113121.0.html
or do a search using the tab at the top of the page  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi swallowpattie,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums Smiley
I've dispatched a new router for you today with a returns bag enclosed. If you couple pop you current router and power supply in there that would be appreciated.
Let me know how the new router is.
luk
Grafter

I'm pleased this topic has come up.  The whistling from my plusnet router is really irritating me at the moment.  It is incredibly noticeable!
I originally thought this could be a power supply issue, but the sound is definitely being emitted from the actual router, and at a guess, I would say it was coming from the modem element of the router.
Has anyone actually identified the key cause of this noise yet?  It concerns me that this could indicate early signs of a failing capacitor within the router.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi luk,
I've also dispatched a new router to you, if you could put the router and power supply into the returns bad I've also sent so we can get this added to the ones we already have,
luk
Grafter

Many thanks Chris, I am grateful for your support.  I am currently carrying out some non-evasive diagnostics on the router in an attempt to determine the origin of the noise.  Don't worry, this doesn't involve opening the router or unscrewing anything - it's simply a case of assessing the different levels of audible signal surrounding the modem, that's one test, and also checking different RF signals around the modem too.
So far it's proving to be quite fascinating.  The noise appears to be emitted from the middle of the modem (towards the back) and the pitch definitely changes when wifi is disabled (using the switch) - I am yet to try whether anything changes if the modem is booted without being hooked to the line; I'll save that test for later.
I will document any findings and will happily submit these either electronically, or with the return.
Thanks again.
swallowpattie

Hi Chris
Many thanks for sending new router.  What great service!
Just been on phone with Neil and as I thought the new router would have to be sorted all over again and he talked me through and all now working and lovely & quiet.
Will post other back to you after B/Holiday
Once again many thanks
Pattie
luk
Grafter

My new router is here and has been installed.  It's definitely a lot more stable than the original router, and so far it is quiet too.