Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router upgrade?

smhartley
Grafter

router upgrade?

Hi
Can anyone give me a bit of advice please.
I have the standard issue technicolour router but I'm finding that the signal doesn't reach upstairs. Quite a normal brick-built 3 bed semi so I don't know what the problem is, especially as the room that one of the laptops is in is almost directly above where the router is!
Anyway, I have decided that I will upgrade to a better router, any advice on what I should get would be much appreciated.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: router upgrade?

need to know if your ADSL of Fibre.
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

How do you know that a new router will give you a better wireless signal or are you changing the router for other reasons?
Do you get any wireless signal upstairs or just a less than good one?
Being in a room above the router doesn't mean a better signal.

AndyH
Grafter

Different routers will give different wireless performance. The TG582N has built in antennas which limits its wireless range/capability.
smhartley
Grafter

Thanks everyone for responding.
Sorry chenks76, forgot to say I'm Fibre.
caravanj - I don't know, but how do I find out without getting another router? We do get some wireless signal upstairs but not very good and it regularly drops out. My daughter has just returned to live at home and needs to use the internet in her bedroom (for her work) which is why I'm considering changing the router. Hubby has suggested that we try plug-in amplifiers first but I'm not sure which is the best way forward!
AndyH - do you suggest a router with external antenna? If so, which one?
daz1107
Grafter

I'm a real novice at this so please don't take my word as gospel.  And i'm not talking about spending large sums of money (e.g Netgear Nighthawk)
I've been reading various forums that seem to suggest that the BT Home Hub 5 is a good router to use with Plusnet Fibre.  They seem pretty reasonable on ebay at about 40 quid.
Today is my first day with Plusnet, and with fibre; it's a big difference from my previous 1.5Mbps download speed, but the wifi signal from the router is terrible compared to my previous 'old style' one.
I'm really struggling for a signal in the upstairs bedroom where I never had problems before, so I'm already looking at changing from the Plusnet router once the speed settles down.
Hope this at least gives you something to think about and may provoke a response from others!!
thunderer
Grafter

If you can afford it, try either a Draytek 2860/2760 which are designed to accept both ADSL & Fibre without the use of a BT Modem or Billion BiPAC 8800NL, again will accept a both ADSL & Fibre without the use of a BT Modem.
I find that paying a bit more when looking for a wireless router, is money well spent.