Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router synch speeds

chri5hill
Grafter

router synch speeds

Hi all,
have a netgear dg834g router and have been getting synch speeds of around 1600kbps dropping to about 1400kbps.My question is looking at the line attenuation and noise(posted below) i see a lot of posts from people on here that have very similar line attenuation and noise but there synch speeds can be 2500kbps-3000kbps.why is it that i cant get these kind of speeds or does it depend on the quality of your line?
just curious
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1600 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 11 db 21 db
many thanks
Chris
29 REPLIES 29
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: router synch speeds

Have you checked if you get a better sync speed when plugged in to the test socket behind the master socket?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
have just fitted a xte-2005 faceplate to see if i could increase the speed and my router plugs into that directly.marginal increase in speed but not a great deal.
thanks
chris
scootie
Grafter

if you have a traget of 12 snr on 50db atten line you should be getting between 3000kbps - 4000kbps sync
my line 51 db atten 12 db target snr and get between those syncs depending on time of day sync is done
do the filtered face plate do the same job as an i plate as well as flitering phone and adsl signals.
if you still have extensions coming off the face plate then try as jelv says.
chri5hill
Grafter

hi,
yes i have tried it in just the test socket with nothing else running but it still only gives a sync speed of about 1600kbps.
thanks
chris
James
Grafter

Chris,
Do you know which version of thhe DG834G it is that you're using?
I believe the v4 supports DMT tool, which you could use to try forcing the SNR a bit lower which might give you an extra meg if you're line can handle it.
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
Unfortunately am using the version 3 router which doesnt support dmt.Theoretically should i be getting a better speed than i am currently getting?Is there any way that the main line could be tested coming into the house to see if i have any problem with the wireing?
Thanks
Chris
James
Grafter

I think the relaity is that we'd need the SNR to drop, either automatically or through "manual intervention" (read as me) before we can safely say wqhether or not you can get a dramatically faster speed.
Do you see any sync speed improvement after rebooting your router at all?  I take it theres no noise on the telephone side of your line?
scootie
Grafter

could use the unoffical dgteam firmware for the dg8234 v3 and beable to set and also hold the snr target of your choice during a resync which you cant do with dmt.
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
yes i do see an improvement in sync speed sometimes depending on what time i do a reboot on the router.My ip profile varies from 1000kbps to 1500kbps all of the time.In regards to phone line noise i can't say i have noticed any noise on the line although people do say the line is quiet when we phone people up.
thanks
chris
James
Grafter

It's worth giving ASBO DOGs suggestion on trying the DG Team firmware out.  I've only heard good things.
Make sure you take a copy of your existing firware though.
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
will give the firmware a try and post back my results
cheers guys
chris
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
have just upgraded the firmware on the router but unfortunately SNR setting is only available on the broadcom chip router(which isnt this version of router).Any other suggestions on where to go from here?
Thanks
Chris
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Doesn't Routerstats offer the ability to adjust SNR temporarily in the same way as DMT does (possibly via the advanced Telnet options)? Sorry I'm not in a position to check this myself at the moment.
David
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Only with the Broadcom chipset