cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router stats: is there something wrong with my line?

framer8

router stats: is there something wrong with my line?

BT speedcheck reports profile = 750k and download speed = 646k, which matches my experience.
Uptime is 30 days so the connection is stable.
Does the following give any indication of what could be causing such a slow sync speed / profile?
[quote="BlueEther's Stats Checker"]BlueEther's stats checker at http://adsl.tin2tin.net thinks my line is made of some Welsh hill farmers old fence.
Can you help me fix my line?
http://adsl.tin2tin.net/yourstats.php?statsID=146201
[quote="The Summary"]Down sync is low (32% of the theoretical maximum).
Only connecting on ADSL1 not ADSL2+.
SN margins vary by too much.
Attenuation looks normal.
The power values are out.
There have been 2 local loss of signal.
There are Lots of FEC errors.

Uptime: 700h 45m 12s
Modulation: G.992.1 - Interleaved on Annex A
(Up Stream) / (Down Stream)
Sync: 448 / 992
Data Transferred: 0.00 kB / 0.00 kB
Attenuation: 31.5 / 62
SN Margin: 15 / 10
Power: 12 / 15.5
Vendor: TMMB / TSTC
Modem: TG585v7
LoF: 0 / 0
LoS: 2 / 0
Error Sec.: 8 / 0
FEC: 155 / 36169973
CRC: 155 / 3764
HEC: 84 / 2803

2 Loss of Signal Local errors. These are okay as rare one-offs, but should not occur regularly.
Expected download speed at your current sync rate: 105.53 KB per second (or 844 kbit)
Expected upload speed at your current sync rate: 47.66 KB per second (or 381 kbit)
The average upstream sync speed attained by other users with the same upstream attenuation as you (31.5dB) is 236 kbit (212 kbit or 90 percent slower than your connection). If you are using Fast Path, then that would explain the increase.
Problem: Downstream attenuation is very high at 62dB.
Problem: Downstream sync speed of 992 kbit is 2080 kbit slower or 32 percent of the average for connections with the same downstream attenuation of 62dB.
Problem: Output power down (15.5dBm) is very low. Most common values are 17 to 19.5dBm.
Problem: Router is using ADSL mode; this may be because of poor line conditions. ADSL2+ mode should result in a faster speed on most lines.
Problem: Signal Noise Margin Down (10dB) is extremely high.
Problem: Signal Noise Margin Up (15dB) is higher than average and may be this high in order to compensate for current/previous high error rates.
Problem: There are some FEC Up errors. FEC errors are *corrected* errors, so these are probably nothing to worry about. Speedtouch routers have a habit of misreporting FEC errors anyway.
1 REPLY 1
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: router stats: is there something wrong with my line?

framer8,
Both the information you provided and some line tests I've just performed reveal that a low sync speed is the problem here. This may be a fault but some basic diagnostics at this end may help first of all, by that I mean trying to connect into the test socket if you have one as this will eliminate anything within your property.
Please refer to https://faults.plus.net/applications.php?Module=Faults for advice on diagnostics and raising the matter to support.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team