cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router off/on

valart
Grafter

router off/on

When I turn off my computer is there any point switching off my router or would it affect my internet connection because my other router packed up after 2 months.
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: router off/on

It doesn't really matter either way - you should be fine to leave it on or turn it off.
The_10th
Grafter

I leave mine on during the day but turn off at night.
Don't turn off/on a lot in a short space of time as the exchange may see this as a problem with your line and could renegotitate to find a stable speed which will be lower initially.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I was originally told to leave it on it takes several days to stabilise the speed, turn of every so often - I dont know now which is correct,  I do know that I went away for a week and logged up usage on  each day as PN was pinging the router
coastergrotto
Grafter

When I go away on holiday for two weeks I always switch my router off and have never had any problems with speed when I switch it back on again.
One of the first things I do is to run a speed test just to check everything is OK.
stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well if I turn mine off over night there is a fair chance that it will connect at a much lower speed next morning and to regain the speed to maintain my around 1000 connection I need 1300 to 1400 at the router ( the best it can do) to give me a speed around 900 (on my computer) I can by switching on and off regain this but on the other hand I sometimes have a speed drop to tolerate for a day or so, because of this action. Consequently I leave it on as it rarely drops . I shold point out that I am about 5 miles from the exchange and thus once connected prefer to stay so as long as posible. Should I have a fine fast connection I would switch off
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Leave mine on virtually all the time, unless I go away for long periods. Never had an issue. Longest time in sync so far has been 67 days, I tend to reboot every other month, to clear out logged errors and such like, even though not sure if it makes any odds. 
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: geezer
I leave mine on during the day but turn off at night.

Same here, it always re-syncs at the same speed next morning. Smiley
stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think you must all have more reliable lines than me