Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router loses connection problem

Griff7520
Grafter

router loses connection problem

Hi
I have 2 pc's on w7 64 bit connected by wire to my thomson router, both pc's are members of the homegroup. The problem is when i start my second pc I lose connection on my router and internet on my main pc, the red light comes on and I have to wait for it to reconnect which takes a couple of minutes. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? This seems to have started after I reinstalled w7 on my main pc last week, could this be anything to do with it?
thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
DaveMcC
Grafter

Re: router loses connection problem

reinstalled w7 on my main pc last week, could this be anything to do with it? Yes.
Go into your router settings, says on the back / bottom.  ie 192.168.0.1 user name admin, password ? could be blank, or it could be some like http://wireless.net uer name etc
Have both computers on, and check how many ip's you see in the LAN / or WAN part, if you see 3 ip numbers example (255.255.0.1, 255.255.0.2, 255.255.0.3) then computer number two has a double tcp/ip stack you then have to go to network settings in the computer and reset from there, sorry don't know how in win7 as I mostly run linux
Dave
Griff7520
Grafter

Thomson TG585 v7

pc 1    192.168.1.66
ethport3
pc2  192.168.1.65

these are the only ip's i can see in the router...cant see the ip's you mention in there...Am i looking in the wrong place?

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Those IP's are correct.
Check if there's a newer version of the ethenet adaptor's driver. The early ones which came with win7 (64bit) caused problems.
Griff7520
Grafter

have tried different drivers but still have the problem...when my second pc boots it disconnects my main pc from the internet by disconnecting the router for a couple of minutes...cant see anything in the router settings that look wrong...I have also changed cable for a new one
so its not the cable.
my main pc is a member of the home group created by the second pc...could that be the problem...should i leave the home group and start a new one on my main pc and then join that home group with the second pc...maybe that is the issue cos it only happens when my second pc boots....any thoughts
Griff7520
Grafter

I removed the homegroup on both pcs then made a new one on my main pc....the joined it with the second pc....still same problem...any ideas
Bright
Grafter

Could you be a bit more explicit about what's going on...? Which "red light" comes on? Do you mean that the router loses it's connection to the internet? Or the first PC loses its connection to the router (and anything beyond)?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Could it be a faulty power supply on the second PC?
Some switched mode power supply's can cause routers to reboot / drop the connection. Cheap laptop power supply's sometimes cause this issue.
If the second PC is a laptop, can you test under battery power.
Griff7520
Grafter

thought I had explained what is happening in my 1st post......the red light is the internet light on top of the router....it turns red which means no internet connection...which obviously stops internet on my main pc....this only happens when i start the 2nd pc...it takes a couple of minutes to regain connection and then both pc's connections are ok
Bright
Grafter

If you disconnect the ethernet cable from the 2nd PC to the router, then boot the 2nd PC, do you get the same issue?
If so, then there are only two ways that the PC could affect the router: the first is via the common power connections, the second is by electromagnetic interference. In which case, npr's suggestion of a power supply fault seems quite likely.
If not, then it must be something to do with the ethernet connection.
So that would narrow things down. Which is it?
Griff7520
Grafter

ok....I just removed the cable from pc2 and booted it up....I lost the internet connection and the red light came on on the router...tried to open browser and email but no connection ...as soon as pc 2 was into windows then the connection came back to normal....dont know how this is happening when the cable was'nt connected to the router  Shocked
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As raised as a possibility earlier
Are the router and the PC from the same mains socket
The reason for asking is that during boot up the PC will draw more power with everything starting up and then when in widows the draw off will reduce
Similarly - is the computer anywhere near the phone wiring as the is always a possibility that the power supply unit is a bit dodgy and chucking out a load of interference at startup
Griff7520
Grafter

yes they are...and not only that but both are plugged into an 2 way plug adapterinto the same socket....could be the problem then?
Griff7520
Grafter

ok....I plugged the router into another socket and booted up pc2 and the problem is still there, as soon as the pc started to boot the lights went off the router..so it looks it may well be a power issue on pc2....is there anyway of testing this out...or should I buy a new psu?
Bright
Grafter

If you can face the effort, you can try lugging PC2 into a different room, away from the router and telephone wiring. Plug it in, switch it on and see if the router still drops the connection.
If it does, then the problem is almost certainly mains-borne. If it doesn't then I'm not sure it proves anything conclusively either way (although maybe it points more to radio interference, which physical separation will help).
If it's mains-borne, I'd guess that the power surge that occurs when you switch on the PSU is putting a spike on the mains that is sufficiently large it affects the ADSL modem (in the router). I can't think of any way it could be something Windows itself is doing, so it's probably just coincidence it started when you re-installed W7. Did you change the locations of any of the kit, or the way they are connected up at the same time? It's not necessarily a sign of a fault with the PSU (presumably it's functioning fine in terms of powering the PC), although I guess it wasn't causing this problem previously. All electrical gear spikes the mains when switched on and off - fridge compressor motors are notorious for this.
One solution might be to buy a decent quality mains filter which should help to smooth out the spikes on the feed to the router. But that will only work if the problem really is caused by noise/spikes on the mains supply.
EDIT: It also occurs to me that all this disconnecting is probably causing the DLM on your line to kick in, thinking there is a fault. So you might find your line speed dropping as DLM tries to stabilise the line. That might need sorting out once you've fixed the PC start-up problem.