cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router connection to solar panel monitoring

carousel99

router connection to solar panel monitoring

I've just had solar edge panels and monitoring equipment installed. The solar edge inverters are unable to communicate with the internet, and the display is showing DHCP failed. I believe that the inverters are unable to read the IP address.
I've spoken to technical help, but they appear to be unwilling or unable to assist me in altering the settings on the router, I get the impression that they know what to do, but they say they can't help me. I don't know whether they can't or are not allowed to assist me.
Does any one know what to do?.
Please make any answers easily understandable to a total technophobe.
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: router connection to solar panel monitoring

DHCP is a pretty automatic process and also fairly standard. If you are using a normal PN router there should be no need to change anything.
Are you sure these units are properly wired to the routers LAN interface?
picbits
Rising Star

Normally your remote device will say "Hello Mr Router, please give me an address on the network" - the router will the reply with "Hello Mr Solar Panel, here is an IP address for you, here is the IP address of where all the internet traffic goes through and here are a couple of name servers to help you on your way. Please check back in a while and I'll either give you another IP address (rare) or let you keep the old one"
If your monitoring devices aren't working properly then either they aren't connecting to the router and asking the question, there may be some kind of incompatibility or your router isn't handing out DHCP addresses. On your PC run CMD then type in IPCONFIG /all and post back the results.
You might also be able to manually specify your IP settings in your monitoring devices but you need to consult the manual as to how to set those.
How are they connecting to the router ? Wirelessly or through a CAT5 cable ?
Finguz
Grafter

Maybe they'll work better when the sun comes out in the morning?
I'll get my coat  Grin
HaydnExport
Grafter

Could it be they are on a set ip range ? like 192.168.0.1 as opposed to 192.168.1.1 , or if a router will only hand out from 100-253 and they are requesting 1-99 , ive had similar problems in the past when changing routers as some use different dhcp ranges