Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reset line please?

toolateforaname
Grafter

reset line please?

I've reinstalled the BT ECI modem.
Could someone please reset my line.to get rid of the terrible latency and slow speeds.
thanks
16 REPLIES 16
toolateforaname
Grafter

Re: reset line please?

pretty please?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi toolateforaname,
Unfortunately we're unable to do line resets on FTTC at present. Your speeds should return automatically over time, the more stable your line is, the quicker this will happen.
toolateforaname
Grafter

Cry
Can you do anything at the line Chris?
my first few months with plusnet fttc were great - reliable almost 80meg connection and low latency.
Now 40meg and terrible latency.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

On FTTC we've no remote tools at all 😕
We're entirely reliant on DLM picking things up for us I'm afraid. Given time, DLM will improve things for you, it just wants to make sure that your connection remains stable too.
toolateforaname
Grafter

So do you have to request BT reset things?
How long does it take for things to sort themselves out on their own?
I could live with the speed - although it is annoying that I know I used to get full speed - but the latency is more of an issue.
Can I get interleaving off?  Can you see what profile I'm on?
I understand that BT have three profiles for fttc lines- is that the case?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm currently in the process of writing a guide up for FTTC DLM as it's pretty rare you can find much information on FTTC DLM!
How long does it take for things to sort themselves out on their own?

It depends on how far down the banding table you are. In your instance, it could take anywhere up to 1-2 weeks.
I could live with the speed - although it is annoying that I know I used to get full speed - but the latency is more of an issue.

What sort of latency are you seeing? Low Interleaving should only add 8ms onto your normal ping. Your speeds will come back.
Can I get interleaving off?  Can you see what profile I'm on?

It's again, part of DLM. We can't yet request that this is switched off. DLM will decide when your line is ready for Interleaving to be removed. I can see which profile you're on:
Profile: 22M-44M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 8M-17M Upstream, Interleaving On
Downstream Speed 46.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 14.2 Mbps
As your sync rate is (for some reason) exceeding your band, tonight, when the profiles are re-aligned, your band will be moved up. I can't say what it'll be moved up to, but you should see an improvement. Assuming your line stays the way it is, you should be well on your way to an improvement.
Interleaving will probably be the last thing to come off if I'm honest.
I understand that BT have three profiles for fttc lines- is that the case?

Kind of. BT have 3 different 'Policies' to put lines on. Standard, Stable or Super Stable. There's very little difference between Standard and Stable (at the moment - there are plans to change this). Super Stable adds in 'High Interleaving' and potentially lowers the sync rate to ensure the lien remains stable.
With regards to the 'Bands', there are quite a few! There's 30 for the downstream and around 9 on the upstream. In reality there are more than that when you factor in the different combinations of Interleaving on each of the bands being (Low) and (High).
At present, the only thing we can change is the 'Policy' which takes 24 hours to go through. By default you'll be set on 'Standard'. There is no facility for us to do any kind of Line/DLM Reset and an engineer would only ever do one if a physical change was made as part of a fault.
toolateforaname
Grafter

Thanks Chris,
Two weeks!  Shocked
Some sort of guide would be very useful.  Information for the 'lay' user seems tricky.    I was an IT bod and I've been involved in networking at higher levels of the stack but my knowledge of dsl is zilch. 
FTTC seems to being run as a black box by BT.
On the latency, this is today:

compared to this which is typical of what I had previously

If I just recap on the history:
1st 6 months all great + fast 80meg. using supplied hardware
I then started to get issues with dropped connections, lag on games/web pages/iplayer etc and my web browsers would continually report that the server connection was reset while loading hte page.
I raised this but nothing could be seen from your side.
Things got worse and worse...
I'd read that there could be issues with the supplied Technicolor router but, so I thought hardware issue and bought a fritzbox 7390 (lovely bit of kit) and replaced the ECI modem and technicolor with the fritzbox.
Had a bit of a faff while I played with the config on the fritzbox to set up the authentication - so there were a number of connection failures and line drops.
The install of the fritzbox solved all my problems with dropped connections (at the application/web level) - so I'm happy that the technicolor was faulty.
However it seems that after the install of the fritzbox there were sync issues visible from your side and this is what seems to have caused the current situation with speed/latency.
I've now put the ECI box back into use and I'm running the fritzbox as a router using the ECI as a VDSL modem.
One thing that does worry me a little is that around the time that I  bought the fritzbox the school next door had their overhead lines replaced and those overhead cables go into the same pole as mine.  In this village there are lots of very poor quality line pairs (aluminium) - I was on 'good' lines back from the days when I had ISDN into the house and I'm terrified that that BT might have shuffled me off onto one of the poor pairs
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the run down Smiley
If you'd have been put onto a poor pair, you'd have most likely noticed a reduction in speeds permanently, but yours do appear to be on the up. When Interleaving does get removed, you'll see your latency drop as well.
The thing about FTTC DLM is that it's quite slow for it to do anything of any benefit for the user. ADSL, DLM works on the fly, whereas FTTC DLM doesn't it takes snapshots of the line performance throughout the day and then makes a decision on what to do next based on that data at around midnight.
The other issue is that it takes far too long for DLM to go through the rigmarole if going back through all the bands again until you're back on the top band with no Interleaving on. BT Openreach are working on a  DLM redesign to speed this process up and are looking at viable options for giving ISP's certain controls so that we can do 'Caution Counter Resets' (I'll explain what this is on the guide I'm writing) which will help speed the whole process up.
This is how bad it can be...in a very worse case scenario, it can take 3 months for a User to go from the very worst profile, all the way back to the full 80/20! Luckily BT Openreach know this is pretty daft and are looking at this.
toolateforaname
Grafter

Thanks for that Chris.
Look forward to reading your document - make it a sticky!
I'll keep an eye on what happens over the next couple of weeks then.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll include it within here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119921.0.html - so keep your eyes peeled! Smiley
toolateforaname
Grafter

Hi again.
I did see your doc Chris - thanks for that.

Could I get an update on my issue please.  If anything things are getting worse.
BT missed two appointments.  Turned up unexpectedly when I wasn't in and did various things (replaced faceplate and modem - apparently I had the wrong modem for the cabinet). 
There seems to be a fault on the copper ?  I am suspicious about the work BT did a while ago.
Question #85495774
Last comment from plusnet on 2nd June.
At the moment I'm very unhappy with the situation. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
I'm really sorry for the issues you've had with engineer no shows. I can see that the engineer that did attend appears to have fixed half the issue. A Local Network engineer has been and cleared the Copper Joint fault which was also causing issues and a DLM Reset has been carried out following this.
Your connection rate is as follows:

Downstream Speed:
55.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 18.0 Mbps
As far as I can see, the issue should now be pretty much resolved.
toolateforaname
Grafter

Hi Chris,
when did the copper fault get fixed?    The other evening I did a bt wholesale speedtest and the results were terrible.   23mb download.

OK - just done a few more tests - Is there an issue with the speedtester and windows 8?
From my win 8 machine I get 35.
From my macbook I get 47.

Generally I use the desktop for the tests because the macbook is usually on wifi.
It is still way down on the 78 I used to get.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
The copper joint fault was resolved on 07/06/2014. Try restarting your router as I have recently updated your Speed Profile, and please ensure any Speed Test are carried out via Ethernet.
I appreciate that when you were first provisioned that you got 78Mb speeds, but we can't guarantee that you'll always get those speeds as the service is rate adaptive. Your current sync rate is in line with your estimate. If we could/can provide better speeds, we would and will do, but we're completely dependent on the equipment you're connected to. For all we know there could have been more and more people connected to your Cabinet since you've bee provisioned which could impact the speeds you were once receiving.