Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reprofile request

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: reprofile request

OK, I'm surprised about the synch speed as line tests are showing me the line is synching at 9778, the line rate has been set to correctly reflect this at 8800kbps.

Just to clarify what you mean by "significant instability" are you referring to low/flucuating speeds or connection drops?

What does a test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ over ethernet show you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pinn
Dabbler

Connection drop outs resulting in pages not loading properly or at all, and downloads failing all the time.

Speed is reasonable but less than I received with Sky by about 200kb.

Results attached

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks, were you connected over WiFi or Ethernet?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pinn
Dabbler

That's via ethernet.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, it would be a good idea to report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net in that case.

Let us know when you have.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pinn
Dabbler

Hello,

line is now stable but speed has reduced significantly. Sync info below. Can you check I'm on the right profile, please?

Data rate: 1052 / 8981
7. Maximum data rate: 1068 / 9848
8. Noise margin: 5.6 / 7.7
9. Line attenuation: 23.3 / 41.8
10. Signal attenuation: 24.0 / 40.5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The router stats provide the SYNCH speed not (as incorrectly labelled here) the DATA speed.

That synch speed will deliver a profile of 7.9Mbps which ought to deliver a DATA speed around 7+Mbps.  What is the DATA speed test results you are seeing from an Ethernet connected device with nothing else happening on your network?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Technically, the term "data rate" is more correct for that label, while "sync speed" is more of a slang term. Actual Net Data Rate is the proper term for what is usually referred to as the "sync speed".

Yes, the file download speed and speedtest results will be up to about 85% of the number shown by the modem.

Given the history of the thread, I think @pinn was referring to the DLM profile (target SNRM setting etc.) which only Plusnet can check.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi @ejs,

I smiled - as I wrote that I did wonder if you (if anyone) might add precision to the words I used, which are open to debate.  Terminology in this space is challenging - DATA speed tests are always going to be markedly slower that the line speed (by whatever name) and the (slang if you will) distinction between SYNC and DATA speeds is a useful distinction (and explanation) for the layman.

Besides which the perception of "DATA" is different depending on the context ... at raw communications level any capacity to move packets is "DATA" where as in common terms to ordinary folk "DATA" means the files they want to up or down load ... which is what DATA speed tests report ... and thereby deflate expectations.

I'd welcome a set of terminology which was technically more precise, yet still conveyed the important difference between what is being measured / reported in a way that does not confuse the average user.  In that context, given the common perception of what DATA speed means, I hold to the view that the use of "DATA" in relation to the speeds reported by the router can and will only lead to user confusion and unfulfilled expectations.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pinn
Dabbler

Abouut 8-900kb/s, previously was getting 1200kb/s

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Having read the whole of the history here ... did you raise a fault report back in Jan 2017 and what happened?

For a 40dB attenuated line the speeds reported by the router are right on the nail and a BT speed test should deliver around 7Mbps.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

pinn
Dabbler

Thanks for the comprehensive respine.

NO fault was reported as my line returned to expected speed.

Don't have a corded phone so cannot check but line is quiet on wireless phone.

1st kitz link is as follows, although seems conservative:

Fixed ADSL:  4500 kbps (4.5 Mb)
DSL Max:   4500 kbps (4.5 Mb)
ADSL 2+ : 6000 kbps (6 Mb)

Second is as follows:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 3.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 3.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 4.5 -- 3 to 7.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U              
VRI N              
NTEFaceplate N              
Last Test Date 18-01-1970    

Router stats

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: [removed]
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 14/07/17
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 16:37:17
6. Data rate: 1035 / 8312
7. Maximum data rate: 1036 / 9664
8. Noise margin: 7.0 / 9.4
9. Line attenuation: 23.4 / 41.9
10. Signal attenuation: 23.7 / 40.8
11. Data sent/received: 8.7 GB / 256.3 GB
12. Broadband username: [removed]
13. BT Wi-fi: No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-2.4
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-5
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 00:37:b7:28:ce:94
24. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
25. Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
26. Latency type: Fast
27. Software variant: AA
28. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Plusnet reports speed as:

Estimated line speed:There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.Current line speed:7.3 Mb

Thanks in advance

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That's a good collection of data.  The line is synching at 8+Mbps which is well over the estimate, but a bit shy of what the reported attenuation might give hope for.  The SNRM is a bit high - one needs to find the reason for that.

What does the BTw speed test report please?  The Plusnet profile (7.3Mbps) is right on the nail for the reported synch speed.  Thus far this all looks fine.

@CRT what is the target SNRM for this line please?

pinn
Dabbler

Missed that one; here we go

Capture.PNG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I believe that based on the information provided your line is performing near enough in line with expectations. If the line is very stable, a small amount more might be squeezed out if the DS Target SNRM can be changed to 3dB, but given your history I would leave it where it is.