cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repeated dropout of internet connection in Compton

pwdixon
Dabbler

Re: repeated dropout of internet connection in Compton

I'll have to see what BT say, if they try to shrug it off then I guess I'll have to tempt them with an offer to move to their broadband product otherwise I'll have no other possible solution.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You can also run a line test and report the fault through the BT website. If the line test shows a fault somewhere on the network before your property, I think it's quite easy to get it fixed.
hottroc
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Unfortunately any issues with the copper line would be down to the phone provider to resolve, we can only perform a basic test on that side of the circuit (which we did and showed a fault).

Unfortunately, Chris, this attitude is what is causing some customers problems. PlusNet say the problem is down to the phone provider and the phone provider say the problem is down to the Broadband supplier and the customer is left in the middle not knowing what to do. As far as I am concerned then if the customer is having problems with their Broadband and raise the issue with PN then it should be up to PN to raise the problem with the phone provider if necessary and chase/follow up the problem until it is resolved. This would have the added benefit of 2 knowledgeable parties being able to discuss the issue instead of the less knowledgeable customer. This is called customer service and increases customer satisfaction hence customer retention and hence long-term profits. The other method is called washing your hands of the problem and has the opposite effect.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I think BT would say if one of their customers had a phone fault, it should be reported to them by their customer.
Their customer can then authorise any action that needs to be taken.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pwdixon
Dabbler

I think that sounds like if I now have a problem that I'll end up paying BT to fix it.  I didn't ask for this upgrade and I didn't cause the problem.
dick:quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you run the line test on the BT website, and it says the fault is likely to be at the exchange or somewhere on the network nowhere near your house, then if you continue and actually report the fault, then an engineer may get sent to wherever the fault is. If the engineer doesn't visit your home, it's unlikely they'll be able to blame it on your extension wiring or equipment, so it's unlikely you'll be charged.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You cant' really put the blame on  PN for a phone line fault. If you don't rent  pay your line rental to them, then it makes no sense for them to sort it out. Good advice is to always have the phone and the broadband of any flavour suplied by the same company and this has been the cases since ADSL came on stream a decade or more ago.
I'll leave it to you to decide which way to go, but switching to PN for phone is about  £1 a month cheaper than BT .
hottroc
Grafter

Quote from: gpsmout
You cant' really put the blame on  PN for a phone line fault. .....switching to PN for phone is about  £1 a month cheaper than BT .

But even then they can still blame BT if you have a problem, saying it's a wholesale supplier (ie BT Openreach) issue.
But the issue really is that the customer often doesn't know if it's a phone line fault or something else.
And lets remember you are paying PN for a service (Broadband), so it is up to them to deliver that service. Saying you can't blame PN is again washing hands of the problem. What if PlusNet doesn't pay their electric bill and all their servers go down...."Oh you can't blame PlusNet for the electrical supply!", so what are PlusNet actually being paid for then?