cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repeated dropout of internet connection in Compton

pwdixon
Dabbler

repeated dropout of internet connection in Compton

This annoying and repeated dropout has started to happen a lot over about the last week.
Plusnet support is so diffciult to navigate so I'm here to try to find out more on the problem.
I've noticed my normal 6M-ish speed is now 13M-ish so I'm wondering if an upgrade has been carried out and hasn't been done right.  I live in Compton, Newbury so anyone else local found the same thing?  Bit of a longshot I know.
22 REPLIES 22
pwdixon
Dabbler

Re: repeated dropout of internet connection in Compton

It would also be nice if the fault troubleshooter I keep getting directed at waas actually available and working of course!
cedlor
Grafter

Nothing here
http://www.telephone-exchange.co.uk/Compton-Berkshire-THCMN.html
to suggest anything has changed
Put your phone number in the box  top right  and see what it comes up with.
13Mbps is not possible on the services it states are available?
Can you post the stats off your router ( what model is it)  and also the speed at Plusnet  see link below - login required- do not post your phone number.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

By "drop out," do you mean your wifi signal is failing or do you mean the router is loosing the broadband connection?
Solving either problem can be down to very different causes .
If you are not sure then please say so and someone will guide you to where to begin!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: cedlor

The Compton (THCMN) exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+ in December 2015. It's almost as if BTWholesale have been publishing a list of exchange upgrades on their website every month, but nobody cares about ADSL any more, since it's not superfast.
pwdixon
Dabbler

Quote from: gpsmout
By "drop out," do you mean your wifi signal is failing or do you mean the router is loosing the broadband connection?
Solving either problem can be down to very different causes .
If you are not sure then please say so and someone will guide you to where to begin!
Wifi is fine, internet losses connection.
pwdixon
Dabbler

Quote from: cedlor
Nothing here
http://www.telephone-exchange.co.uk/Compton-Berkshire-THCMN.html
to suggest anything has changed
Put your phone number in the box   top right  and see what it comes up with.
Can you post the stats off your router ( what model is it)  and also the speed at Plusnet  see link below - login required- do not post your phone number.
I read the website to mean that upto 17M was available.  We have previously only ever seen upto about 6M on the Plustnet directed broadband speed checker.
cedlor
Grafter

The up to 17MBps on the website ( and on other ISP websites) is just saying the fastest speed COULD be 17mbps
That is only IF the exchange can provide that 17Mb service - adsl2+
Even then 17Mb only be likely for those people who live within 500 meters of the exchange and have a near perfect cable.
The further you are from the exchange the slower the speed you will get and could be even slower if you have a poor cable..
  Up until December the maximum available from your exchange was 8mbps  but it is now 17mbps.
If you are now getting 13mbps you have automatically been changed over.
There may be a period of 10 days for it to settle down and if the quality of your line is not great then the higher speeds
may make it unstable causing the drop outs. Over the 10 days the system should balance out the speed to the stability
and you should end up with something fatser than 8mbps- I would just give it time - keep your router on all the time
and keep doing speed tests at BTW speedtest  and compare the speed with the speed when you follow my link (log on required)
pwdixon
Dabbler

So as I never achieved the 8M before and that was presumably limited by distance/cable quality then there's a good chance after the setting down period I'll probably return to 5/6M and reliable connections, so much for upgrading the equipment then.  
Sounds like they could do with leaving things alone.  
Must admit I'd rather it was reliable rather then unreliable and faster.
mav:quote
cedlor
Grafter

No I dont think it will return to 6Mbps  Id suggest 10 to 12 Mbps    using the same ratio.
There are a few things we can maybe suggest if it doesnt settle down so please update.
pwdixon
Dabbler

If Plusnet don't sort it or it doesn't settle down I'll be looking for a move to another ISP.
mav:quote
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The disconnections don't look good:

Is there any noise on your phone line at all? Pick up the handset and dial 17070, if there is any noise, crackling, hissing etc this needs reporting to your phone provider and should be looked at before any broadband issue.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pwdixon
Dabbler

Yep the dropouts are pretty harsh.
I know because it's take me nearly an hour to logon to try to send this reply.
Called that number and the silence test seemed pretty quiet to me.
pwdixon
Dabbler

Plusnet say they have tested my line and I have a CTL failure (whatever that is) and I need to contact BT to get them to fix my line. 
Personnally I think BT updated the equipment in the local exchange increased the speed but somehow dropping reliability of connection and instead of Plusnet sorting it out I have to try to convince BT there's a problem myself.  I bet they come back with "contact you ISP".
Plusnet have a serious support problem, if I end up having to deal with BT myself I really will have to reconsider my contract with Plusnet and I've been a customer for something like 17 years.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately any issues with the copper line would be down to the phone provider to resolve, we can only perform a basic test on that side of the circuit (which we did and showed a fault).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.