Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirects to BT wholesale service information

squawk7000
Dabbler

redirects to BT wholesale service information

Is anyone else seeing this?
for the last week I have been suffering random redirects to a BT wholesale Service Information page, see attached screen capture. Sometimes it clears by itself but other times I have to disconnect and reconnect at the router.
Before I log a ticket, does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening
Thanks
Ken
(ironically it happened again when trying to post this!)
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: redirects to BT wholesale service information

Hi Ken,
Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing here.
What router are you using?
Also could you PM me your account username so I can take a quick look at your connection please?
squawk7000
Dabbler

Chris
Thanks for the quick reply, PM sent
router is a Netgear DGND3700
Ken
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem.
The information I've given via PM I hope helps somewhat.
pjm

Hi all,
I too am seeing about 25-50% of web site visits being redirected to the BT wholesale error page. I logged a call but was told its a DNS issue which it is not. The web pages resolve to IP perfectly, the outbound request is made to the correct target IP but the response is then redirected to http://194.74.65.98/index.html - the other interesting thing I noticed is that whist often redirects occur with IE or Mozilla user agents, they rarely occur when using 'wget'.
I noticed that repeatedly requesting the URL does eventually return the correct page - perhaps Plusnet have issues with either their load balancers or transparent proxys - I would be interested to know.
I'm located in the Poole area btw.
regards,
Paul.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

When did this last happen to you?
Generally when this does happen, it's when the connection drops and for some reason you're forced to a BT error page.
Have you tried fixing your DNS directly to ours to see if this does clear the problem up?
pjm

Hi,
Re the DNS, this is not the issue, hosts are properly resolved to their correct IP addresses. What is happening is that an outgoing request is made to the remote web server, but the response is intercepted and redirected to the BT wholesale error page. This is specific to the plusnet network, as using an external proxy fixes all browsing issues. You can sometimes request the target URL 20 to 30 times and eventually get a hit, classic issue of a fault with a load balancer.
I'm of course happy to try any other suggestions, I can provide pcap's of the problem if that will aid a rapid diagnosis.
Regards,
Paul