cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

red light on internet light on router

hedgerow

trying to set up the router that does not work, tried the phone and got the recorded message of waiting one hour minium , so tried the instant chat thingy and got comeple gibberish back, do you lot not realise the normal humans dont under stand the words that sprout out of your mouth and fingers
small words
in english
that normal none geek people can understand
11 REPLIES 11
hedgerow

how do i get the router working for the very first time,
its been plugged in for five days and finally the broad band light went solid green but the internet one is still red
did the stuff on page 11, we did the on and off with a 30min gap three times today and nothing so we reset it with a paper clip tonight and still nothing
how do i get the internet and router working properley
and if anyone tries the
"try websire blahblahblah http://192.168.1.254
it dont work, it trys to load and then comes up with the timed out screen, i know as i have tried 23 time so far
and if joan from the geek people is reading this please dont answer as you dont speak english
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: taliking gibberish

Hi Hedgerow,
A warm welcome to the forums, it is though a technical place....
First what's the router please (make and model) and what do you perceive to be the problem ... Or to put it differently, what have you done and at which point are things failing?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: red light on internet light on router

Have you had notification that your broadband service has been activated yet?  Until the account is activated, nothing is going to work.
Which router are you using?  If you are using the PlusNet supplied router, it should self configure if the account is active.
Just because you do not understand it, does not mean that it's Greek; there's lots about many things which most do not understand, that does not make the issue the fault of those who do understand and try to offer help.  Sometimes there needs to be a bit of lingo learnt!  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator Note
Two topics on the same issue merged and moved to ADSL.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
hedgerow

the box is a white sagemcom 2704n or so it says on its base. do you need the other numbers off it?
it has a green light for power
a solid green light for broadband
and a solid green light for wif
but a solid red light for internet
i want to remove the solid red light for internet and to get it working
How?Huh
hedgerow

Quote from: Townman
Have you had notification that your broadband service has been activated yet?  Until the account is activated, nothing is going to work.
Which router are you using?  If you are using the PlusNet supplied router, it should self configure if the account is active.
Just because you do not understand it, does not mean that it's Greek; there's lots about many things which most do not understand, that does not make the issue the fault of those who do understand and try to offer help.  Sometimes there needs to be a bit of lingo learnt!  Wink

how do i activate the broadband service?

as for greek the problem there was the person was cold reading off the screen when we got to a section that said client must go to addresshttp://192.168.1.254 and i could not , that person just kept going to the last page on the screen which they just kept saying you must go blah blah website, i kept saying i cant and they could not handle it so kept saying go to blah blah website, there was nothing else this cold reader could do or think of, other than follow the steps on the screen
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi Hedgerow,
That light is red as we haven't activated your account our side yet, this is because the physical provision of service is not due to complete until Monday according to our suppliers records, I have activated you our side now incase work has been completed early, but we cannot guarantee this will work or run any tests on the line until the order is closed Monday.;
Hope that helps Smiley
Edit: I do see your router has now popped up but is showing as having an incorrect password, would you mind factory resetting the router(using the pinhole on the back) that should get things working now
hedgerow

we spoke to someone in the office today this morning and the account is active so we did the on off trick again and the red light on the internet i till solid and on?Huh
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see you spoke to one of my colleagues about this(she messaged me as I'd been on the account), the account is active now as I had set it earlier however your router is trying to connect using the wrong password every minute, that will need updating in the router(or a factory reset to rerun the autoconfig)
Once done that will work
hedgerow

thank you dark fire we are now working i think
red light is off
but we are going out so i will try it later one once we have walked the dogs
mav:quote
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad it's working, I've just had a quick look and it is indeed showing an active connection is up Smiley