cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommendations for router that can email daily logs

cowley
Grafter

recommendations for router that can email daily logs

I rent out a property in which I pay for and arrange the broadband service for but have had problems with disconnections for a couple of years and engineer visits have failed to find any problems, it can go several months were the connection is OK dropping only 10-12 per month and then periods where the problem deteriorates and gets to the point it is at now where the connection is dropping 10+ times per day.
The normal sync speed when working well is around 6.5Mb but after 4-5 weeks of dropped connections now syncs at 462 Kbps giving s SNR noise margin of over 30dB.  I monitor the noise margin using the RouterStats software and a low SNR does not seem to be the cause as it can drop a connection while having  a noise margin of 30db seconds before.
As I don't live at the property I monitor the connection remotely (Static IP and Router Stats) and the router (a Netgear DG834) emails hourly logs which allows me to check easily if the router is down for long periods (i.e no emails received if down) and I can also check how often the router has dropped and reconnected as I don't run Routerstats continuously.
Before getting engineers involved yet again I want to try and rule out the cause being the router.  I have previously swapped the router for a couple of other spare routers I have as backups including my own router that works perfectly on a different plusnet line at my home without any improvement but all have been Netgear DG834's although various versions, I would now like to try a completley different router brand (not Netgear) in case my line doesn't likw the Netgear DG834's for a reason.
Can someone recommend a solid reliable router that will still allow me to easily login remotely, run Routerstats remotely and also sends daily or hourly logs, the price needs to be reasonable (under £50 if possible).
I do have an old Thomson TG585 v6 that Plusnet sent originally but I didn't like the user interface and can't see a way to easily gain remote access and email daily logs.  I have seen the TP-Link TD-W8960N recommeded (around £33) but wasn't sure if this model gave the remote access and daily logs I wanted to allow me to monitor any improvements after swapping routers.
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: recommendations for router that can email daily logs

Depending on which variants of the DG834 you've tried you've very probably used routers with totally different chip sets. OldJim posted a list recently:
Quote from: Oldjim
We are not discussing telnet we are discussing fiddling with the default noise margin.
This is only possible with the Netgear with a Broadcom chipset
This is the chipset listing against version
• Netgear DG834         (TI AR7 chipset)
• Netgear DG834G v1 (TI AR7 chipset)
• Netgear DG834G v2 (TI AR7 chipset)
• Netgear DG834G v3 (TI AR7 chipset)
• Netgear DG834G v4 (Broadcom BCM6348 chipset)
• Netgear DG834G v5 (Conexant CX94610 chipset)
• Netgear DG834GT (Broadcom BCM6348 chipset)
• Netgear DG834PN (Broadcom BCM6348 chipset)
• Netgear DG834N (Broadcom BCM6358 chipset)
• Netgear DGN2000 (Broadcom BCM6348 chipset)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drw
Grafter

You could try the ThinkBroadband Ping monitoring web site - it will tell you when the router is not connected see
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
and look at the bottom of the page in the small print
Using this could give you some results before you get the new router in place.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

D'oh why didn't I think of that - it's an obvious solution. All you have to do is make sure the router is set to respond to pings.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cowley
Grafter

Thanks for both replies.
The current model attached is a DG834GT, but have tried a DG834G V3 previously and I beleive a DG834G v5 also, which would appear to each use a different chipset, is is therefore not worth purchasing yet another router.
I have set up monitoring at the ThinkBroadband Ping monitoring web site, thanks for the link.
I already have a filtered faceplate and the only other item to rule out is the cordless telephone connected to the master socket via a 10m cheap telephone cable.  I might try changing this to a shorter 5m cat5e cable (Belkin High Speed internet cable with RJ11 and BT connectors) to see if that helps.
The noise margin this morning was rock solid (usually a little erratic) at 31dB but still the line dropped a couple of times.