Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random timeouts

techguy
Grafter

random timeouts

Hi
i keep getting issues with random timeouts, of particular concern recently was when I was doing some banking, fortunately when I logged back on I saw that the payment instruction had gone through but its a little annoying.
WAN uptime counter on my router interace shows 255 hours so I assume from that there hasn't been a drop but is just symptomatic of this strained wire I use for an ADSL connection?
27 REPLIES 27
Grff
Grafter

Re: random timeouts

Are you wired or wireless to your router (assuming you are using a router).    I had a similar thing with my connection.
If I did a constant ping to sites i used to get dropouts every 1 or 2 in 5.
After doing some more testing, it timed out when just pinging the router.
I suspected the router was at fault , and so bought a new router and adapter which worked fine.
After taking the old router to work and trying it with a laptop, the router was fine and it turned out to be the USB wirless adapter.    Grin
techguy
Grafter

Wired using a good ol' Cat 5e patch cable
Ethernet controller is integrated into the motherboard (had one fail and board had to be replaced which was annoying)
James
Grafter

I don't think it would hurt to reboot your router.
Could possibly have been a problem specifically with the site you were trying to use, or was it various different sites?
techguy
Grafter

Happened on few sites and occasionally with mail server too.
I'll try rebooting the router
techguy
Grafter

Right rebooted so will see how it goes.
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I don't think it would hurt to reboot your router.
Could possibly have been a problem specifically with the site you were trying to use, or was it various different sites?

I think there is a problem as I have noticed this on several site on 3 different plusnet accounts with 3 different routers, and a refresh straight away gets the site so it looks like a DNS problem to me.
I have noticed this all this week.
techguy
Grafter

Errant BIND process on DNS node perhaps?
dhookham
Grafter

Quote from: Bud
I think there is a problem as I have noticed this on several site on 3 different plusnet accounts with 3 different routers, and a refresh straight away gets the site so it looks like a DNS problem to me.
I have noticed this all this week.

I've noticed this in the past, though when I moved to BBYW, it seemed to improve. That said, I've been seeing it start to happen again these last few days. (Wired/Wireless, XP/Vista, IE/Firefox). It does seem to be worse in the early evening - might it be symptomatic of an overloaded piece of kit?
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well I think that is a possibilty. I keep see pregnant pauses which come and go and not just at peak times. This has been happening on and off for some time now. There was a lot back in November. Barry Zubel was trying to do some research.
Whether this is all related is extremely difficult to know.
I'm currently on THN-AG1 gateway, not that I've noticed that it's related to a particular one.
techguy
Grafter

It wont matter if its DNS.
Think they did something a while back and reported back that they'd also found and terminated a wayward BIND process on one of the DNS servers (I'm assuming there is more than one physical machine and not just two IPs linked to a single server)
techguy
Grafter

Hope a PN member of staff looks into this tomorrow, getting a little annoying now.
techguy
Grafter

Any news on this (as its not just me by the looks of the thread)
James
Grafter

I've not heard back since this morning.
Could do with the threads being merged Wink
techguy
Grafter

Sorry James, don't follow
There was a speed issue which was raised separately and then this DNS issue or are both issues being addressed as one by the networks team or should we have added to another thread such as Barry's old one?
Or have I missed something?