Did you mean: 

"the acceptable range of speeds is"

woodsider
Grafter

"the acceptable range of speeds is"

Results from BT speed checks.
Was "For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps."
Now "For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps."
Does this represent an improvement of the line itself, or that there has been an improvement in the stats related to its usage (same as I monitor)?
(Shame sync is now above 3Mbps, but download rate gone below 1Mbps since early yesterday evening, but that's probably a Plan B matter, I suppose. Ho hum.)
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: "the acceptable range of speeds is"

Hi woodsider,
BT speedtester is playing up lately so I wouldn't pay too much heed to odd results.
Jojo Smiley
woodsider
Grafter

Neither would I!
No. My line was consistently 400-2000 Kbps until just one change. Since then, 600-7150 Kbps and nothing else. I think it's good news! If anyone has done something helpful - Thanks anyway, but I would like to know.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I did a test on BT the other week and it came up with a sync speed of 2500 and throughput of 3200 so not taking anything for granted with it.
woodsider
Grafter

Over the last weeks my "For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is ... " value has gone up and down with my actual speeds. When my speed is bad, BT tells me to expect no better (or not much). When my speed is good, BT tells me I can expect that.
Several weeks ago, when it was my phone extension that was causing trouble, that might have been reasonable.
A week ago, it was BT. The internet was almost at a standstill for a number of us on the local exchange here. On a large urban exchange I would never have known. Telling us that we could no longer expect the our previous speeds because of their problem was MONSTROUS.
I suppose this is all to do with BT's general assumption that it is customers who have bad equipment, not them, plus their lack of transparency.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

looking at what BT say is acceptable compared to what you know your line can achieve it's roughly a quarter, based on that maybe we should only pay a quarter of the bill  Roll_eyes
On an 8meg line with an ip profile of 6500kbps anything over 600kbps is seen as acceptable  Shocked where else in the world could you get away with that.