Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Not enough bandwidth...." BBC iPlayer

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: "Not enough bandwidth...." BBC iPlayer

Though I did say my results were ok in the iplayer test, reading here about possible flash problems maybe I should mention the first time I ran it flash crashed halfway through the iplayer test. Updated (only a .01 rise in the version) and it ran through ok.
I don't know if this is relevant to the OP?
tbulford
Dabbler

Thanks billnotben. I've tried updating to the latest flash version to no avail! But it was worth a try. For sure, Firefox has been unstable for me too, with the plugin container crashing not infrequently enough for my liking!
I hope it's safe/allowable to do this, but I just check the security logs on my router and found this:
Error May 17 10:16:14 IDS dos parser : tcp syn flood (1 of 1) : 78.188.41.208 87.113.224.221 0060 TCP 4565->23 [S.....] seq 3585373839 win 5808

Error May 17 07:50:38 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 77.37.235.11 Dst ip: 87.113.224.221 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited

Error May 16 17:39:47 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 91.214.128.115 Dst ip: 87.113.224.221 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Error May 16 10:15:19 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 217.174.46.77 Dst ip: 87.113.224.221 Type: Echo Reply Code: 0
Should I be concerned? I am a networking noob, and don't know what the above really means.
tbulford
Dabbler

Uptime: 22 days, 3:42:33
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 13.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 10.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 8.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 38,033
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 150
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 141
For what it's worth, this is the status of my DSL connection. It's all Greek to me.
tbulford
Dabbler

Given that every other device I test on is fine, this is a problem between my computer and Adobe, I'm quite sure of it. Thank you for all your help and sorry if I've wasted anybody's time. I've uninstalled Flash and am going to try an older archived version. Not holding out much hope though!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Those stats you have posted are fine, a rock solid connection.
I wouldn't be inclined to use earlier versions of flash, some have security problems. Version 11,2,202,235 should work ok with Firefox 12.
I'd make sure you have the same Active X version installed and run the same tests with IE just to compare.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

tbulford:  Lots of thanks for bringing it up actually.  We hadn't really thought about Flash performance impacting the results of the iPlayer speed test before.    Very interesting and something we probably need to brief out to our support teams.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
tbulford
Dabbler

So here I am sat crossed legged on the floor checking out my ethernet connection, as advised! (I have only a very short cable!)
And the result: I get FULL streaming speeds when connected this way.
Which begs the question: what's going on with Adobe Flash and my wireless lan card? (It's an built-in Dell 1390.)
I'm glad to be narrowing down the cause! But as I get a rock-steady connection wirelessly, and the other wireless devices in my property do not suffer the same problem, what is going on? I am able to torrent (I'm going to try Linux Mint later to see if I have the same issue) huge disk files at near enough 8 Mbps, but I can't stream a flash video file at any more than 2 meg?
Weird!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your router a TG585 v7 or v8?
Have you tried streaming over wireless using Internet Explorer rather than Firefox as suggested by Anotherone?
David
tbulford
Dabbler

Hello!
My router is v7. I downgraded the firmware on it to version 8.2.6.5 from 8.2.7.8 a few weeks ago in order to enable WPS which for some ungodly reason came disabled by default. I got a new printer and was scratching my head for some time as to why the front button didn't do anything despite the manual telling me it should!
I've tried the iPlayer diagnostics test with Firefox 12, IE 8, and whatever version of Opera I have on my computer.
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The v8.2.7.8 firmware is for the v8 and is not compatible with the v7 so do you mean you downgraded your v7 from v8.2.6.5 to v8.2.23.0 (which has WPS enabled)? Probably not important anyway.
Since the iPlayer diagnostic results aren't browser dependent it looks like it could be an issue with the wireless card. Does that support wireless 'n'? If so could you try changing it to wireless b/g only?
David
tbulford
Dabbler

Oops! I did mean that. According to the Thomson Gateway I'm on 8.2.23.0.
It's already on b/g only; I've even tried just g.
It's like my streaming speed is capped at roughly5 meg d/l and 2.5 meg upload. As soon as I connect via ethernet instead, the numbers jump up to closer to my max line speed.
I tried to test this on Linux Mint but I couldn't get the wireless card working (it's notoriously hard to use with Linux, as the driver is proprietary).
I could use buy a super long cable and run that to where my lappy usual sits, but I'd still like to figure out what the issue is because I've had this machine since 2006 and have used iPlayer since its advent with no issues until now; even with HD streams.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are streaming, you will have virtually no upload.  Grin
I don't know why you have a problem - fullscreen HD (BBC standard) works (mostly) for me on wireless or via a homeplug setup.
This is on Mint.
And my linespeed is currently 5Mbps.  Cry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: tbulford
I tried to test this on Linux Mint but I couldn't get the wireless card working (it's notoriously hard to use with Linux, as the driver is proprietary).

If it helps (and you didn't already know), the Dell 1390 is a Broadcom BCM4311, it's too long since I set up one of these in Mint but I seem to remember a 'B43' driver package.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tbulford
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. I did discover that after much searching for help. I followed half a dozen guides, including one about using 'ndiswrapper'. The closest I could get was actually getting Mint to stop telling my my the 'firmware' for my wireless card wasn't installed. But it wouldn't allow me to switch it on. I checked and it was supposedly installed and working OK... only it wasn't. I might try again today, but I wasted so many hours last night I think I might just leave it. I only wanted to test how things were streaming wise. I'd then keep it and stream off that dual-booting with XP. I couldn't use Mint as my main desktop because the font rendering is poor. Everything is much blurrier and you can't fit as much on the screen. Gnome is also sluggish, so KDE might be a better option for me.
jim:quote