Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Me" or the exchange?

Routefinder
Grafter

"Me" or the exchange?

Hi All
I realised at about 3pm that the connection was down because I could not access web or email though the router was all green light(s).  This was using wireless connection and had not time to boot up wired PC to access RouterStats and 'see' what was going on???
But now running that PC and note from RouterStats that a new session started approx 1.5 hours ago, the PPPOA and the router uptime had been the same up until today at over 28 days.
Now looking at RouterStats what caught my eye was that for almost all of that time the Severe ES was quite low at something like <100 but now as you can see below the figures are somewhar elevated:-
Noise Margin:     2.9   dB
Connection Rate:  3755  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 55.5  dB
Power:            0.0   dBm
Max Rate:         4448  Kbps

SuperFrames:      145913590
SF (CRC) Errors:  948882
Reed Solomon:     447224404
RS Corrected:     345481196
RS Un-Corrected:  23374023
HEC:              951266
Errored Seconds:  19702
Severe ES:        15214
Interleave Depth: 16
Bitswaps:         144486

For the record we had a thunderstorm nearby, but not as far as I know near the exchange, at about the time I was trying to access the internet/emails this afternnoon.
So other than other users insight as to anything affecting their service this afternoon during the storms if any passing CSC can check my radius logs and advsie what they show in regard to the connection over at least the past 12 hours would be very welcome  Smiley
PS Sync is 3755 as has been for at least 2 months??? Measured speed on an Ookla based site 3.11 and the Data Transfer line speed @ PlusNet 3.3.  For the redcord I am on 21CN on ADSL2
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: "Me" or the exchange?

It sounds like too many error for you to have a working connection.
A thunderstorm will do that even though you think it is nowhere near the exchange
This is what happened to my connection yesterday - it didn't lose sync but these are the uncorrected errors per 15 mins and I effectively lost the internet
The second picture is the error secs
x47c
Grafter

CRC's and ES's during a thunderstorm near me this afternoon.
On 21CN ADSL2+
Routefinder
Grafter

Thanks both for the insight.
I have realised that even if RS was running I have not been logging the CRC, ES, LOf totals doh!
I think I need to reboot the router to flush the RS figures.................................or hang a mo "Reset Stats" will do that???  As they are only representative of the recent hours as far as I know based, so if CSC can give the insight on the Radius servers data that would be good to know as well Smiley
x47c
Grafter

Some routers get a bit confused when you reset the stats - there seem to be some that don't reset everything - a total re-boot is required to do this which of course will give you a re-sync on the line.
Mine is one.
try it and see......
Excess CRC's sometimes called superframe errors are one of the causes of internet 'slowing down' despite the system remaining in sync.
So you get slow reported download/speed tests.
The router/exchange is so busy keeping on asking for the corrupted packets to be resent and doing the resending and re-fitting the resent packets into the correct place in the data stream that it starts to affect the overall throughput.....eventually of course if the error rate becomes so bad the system simply ceases as a operational connection and depending on things the line will then/may re-sync.
Unfortunately only some routers will let you have access via telnet to recording the errors/15 minute interval on the routerstats program.
The errors/15 min figures are more useful in my opinion than the total errors accumulated graph.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

On mine a resync clears everything except the error seconds which needs a reboot to fix
Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks again  Cool
The router is the Netgear DG834Gv4.....................so I will "reset" in RS to start with and possibly as x47c mentions if the router gets it 'knickers in a twist' a fully reboot may be best shortly???
Routefinder
Grafter

Nope reset stats in RS does not do it fo all the items...........................................discon > reboot router next  Wink
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi All
Just thought I would post the current router stats for any insight, as you can see the uptime is nicely prolonged even though the Noise Margin has drifted up a tad from 3.0 to the current 3.3 (NB I did see it at 3.5 for about 48 hours a few days ago.  So based on these figures should the Downstream continue to be Interleaved???
Downstream
Noise Margin:     3.3   dB
Connection Rate:  3755  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 56.0  dB
Power:            0.0   dBm
Max Rate:         4520  Kbps

SuperFrames:      130758502
SF (CRC) Errors:  6185
Reed Solomon:     4249651326
RS Corrected:     215377056
RS Un-Corrected:  61215
HEC:              5678
Errored Seconds:  2740
Severe ES:        29
Interleave Depth: 16
Bitswaps:         166522

Upstream

Noise Margin:     16.0  dB
Connection Rate:  444   Kbps
Line Attenuation: 29.4  dB
Power:            13.1  dBm
Max Rate:         704   Kbps

SuperFrames:      117698098
SF (CRC) Errors:  0
Reed Solomon:     0
RS Corrected:     0
RS Un-Corrected:  0
HEC:              0
Errored Seconds:  0
Severe ES:        0
Interleave Depth: 1
Bitswaps:         90819
Totals
Total Uptimes (From SF counts):
WAN:   25 days, 17:29:01
LAN:   25 days, 17:29:01

CRC:  6185
LOS:  2
LOF:  0
ES :  2740

BT Speedtester says:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.98 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 3.31 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
And last time I looked IP @ PlusNet was 3.3Mbps
Speed Test

At slower than 81% of GB nothing to get excited about  Angry Grin Shocked Huh  As mentioned before 'here' we seem to be a Fibre dead spot AFAIK all the bigger centres and hence their exchanges around us are FTTC enabled but our exchange is not even slated to get it on the last publicly available list I saw in the next 2 years...............so much for a faster connected UK!  
On a side note ~ I recall speaking to an Openreach team guy about 2 years ago who was adding fibre to the main trunk (between our exchange and the next exchange/town along the way) that runs along the main road approx 400 metres away so it is not as if there is not fibre in the locale.  This added fibre was to provide as far as I understood from him FTTP for a business in the village!  And in the junction housing he had lifted out and mounted on his fibre feed rig, he explained there were connection positions for dozens of additional fibres all unallocated???
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We are still seeing a errors on your line, this is why interleaving is on. I would recommend leaving interleaving on for now, as it is doing its job and everything appears to be working as it should with it on.
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Chris
Can you please expand on your feedback?  The ES for the uptime seem minimal so what is it in the Radius reports that suggest the sort of/extent of errors that continue to need Interleaving.  Indeed do please post the Radius graph for the past appropriate number of days to illustrate the erroring seen Smiley
PS I am surmising here that the Radius report is the one that shows the errors not just connection issues..............so if there is another graphical report that can show me what you are refering to that would be very welcome Cool
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The high number of CRC errors is showing that interleaving is doing its job. We can remove interleaving and see if/how your line is affected.
As your line is quite long it is open to interference, if noise was to raise on your line then you would lose more speed than with interleaving turned on. For every 3dB it raises you would lose around 800k in sync rate.
I'm more than happy to remove the interleaving and see how it goes if you like?
Routefinder
Grafter

Well there's a thing???
Returned from holiday on the 30th September and restarted the shutdown router, on that bootup my sync was off the order of 3600....................left it a day and closed the session and rebooted and lo & behold got back my 3755 until yesterday when I noted these stats....................the MSAN had decided to reset the connection and lowered the Margin with a smallish boost on Sync speed, prior to this MSAN reset the Interleave depthon the DL was 16 not 32 as showing now:-
DL
Noise Margin:    2.8  dB
Connection Rate:  3801  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 55.5  dB
Power:            0.0  dBm
Max Rate:        4592  Kbps

SuperFrames:      3075613
SF (CRC) Errors:  349
Reed Solomon:    202990474
RS Corrected:    4564470
RS Un-Corrected:  1866
HEC:              230