cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Internet" link light keeps going out on Voyager 210 router

RuthBond

"Internet" link light keeps going out on Voyager 210 router

Help please.  I'm an 82 year old silver surfer.
My son in law set up a PlusNet account for me and came down this weekend to get it going.  Set-up was easy and all was working well after about 10 mins.
But every so often the Internet light on the router goes out and I have to switch if off or go to the router set-up page again and click the button marked Connect with my username and password ( it remembers these).
It then says "connecting" and soon all is OK again for a couple of hours, after which it does it all again!
Have we done something wrong?  The manual says it should stay connected all the time. Why cant' it automatically reconnect if it remembers my username and password?
any ideas?  The router is ethernet connected ( my son in law tells me)
6 REPLIES 6
paulby
Grafter

Re: "Internet" link light keeps going out on Voyager 210 router

It looks like an idle time out.
Have a look at this post by Kitz on ThinkBroadband.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My impression is that this seems to be a commonly occurring problem with this router.
Unfortunately those passing on advice do not have first-hand experience of this router so offer "general advice" but those needing the advice may lack the experience to understand the general advice that is given.
This is not an ideal situation; I will contact the Comms team after the holiday to see if I can do something to improve this situation.
In the meantime if the original poster wishes to live with the problem for a little longer I'll post an update once I've been in touch with the Comms team.
David
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: RuthBond
Have we done something wrong?  The manual says it should stay connected all the time. Why cant' it automatically reconnect if it remembers my username and password?
any ideas?  The router is ethernet connected ( my son in law tells me)

I've been using a Voyager 210 for the last 4 months on and off and I've only ever experienced the problem you describe on one single occasion. I've also experienced the same problem with my Netgear DG834 on a couple of occasions so, despite what folks are reporting here there and everywhere, I wouldn't say it's a problem peculiar to the Voyager 210.
Check this out: Look in "Quick Setup" and just keep clicking on "Next" until you get to the page where you enter your broadband username and password. Make sure the "Always On:" radio button is checked. That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing your problems.
Regards .....
RuthBond

Look in "Quick Setup" and just keep clicking on "Next" until you get to the page where you enter your broadband username and password. Make sure the "Always On:" radio button is checked. That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing your problems.

I have looked on the quick setup but can't see anything like this.  All we entered was the username and password.
Is it in advanced options?
lingbob
Grafter

Sorry, I may have misled you as I'm used to taking a few shortcuts to get where I want to be in the Voyager config. I'll walk you through it:
You obviously know how to get into the Voyager config so, on the very first page, click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu. Then, click on the "Advanced" link just underneath all the blurb where it says "Your Voyager provides advanced functions ..... blah blah blah". A new menu should appear on the left-hand side - click on "Quick Setup" and then keep clicking on "Next" until you get to the page where you can enter your Broadband username and password. Look at the bit where it says "Session established by" and make sure the "Always on" radio button is checked. Now keep clicking on "Next" until you get to the end.
Hope this helps .....
RuthBond

Hi road-runner.  I have navigated to the page you said ( with a little phone support from my son in law) and found the page you describe.
However the "always on " radio button seemed to already ON.
So we switched it off and then back on again, and I'll see how long it stays on this time.
Thank you so much for you help