Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Gateway hopping" and PN profiles

severedsolo
Grafter

"Gateway hopping" and PN profiles

just wondering whether someone can clear this up for me,
I was on an absolutely brilliant gateway earlier, then with the usual SNR increase after dark was forced to resynch when the router lost its connection (it syncs at the minimum SNR margin required to hold sync so i normally have to reboot about 7ish) and now have been put onto a gateway which seems to be dropping packets left right and centre,
my question is, if i start "gateway hopping" (not resynching, just disconnecting from the gateway and reconnecting) will it effect my PN profile? as in will it think iv got a bad connection and try and compensate, or will it follow the BT profile, (which should remain unchanged as i am not resynching)
9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: "Gateway hopping" and PN profiles

It shouldn't affect your PN profile which, as you say should follow the BT one.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

doing a router disconnect/connect and not switching off (Rebbot) does not affect your profile, you can see the loadings of the gateways here  http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml?supporta=networkpbroadb...

and here http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
severedsolo
Grafter

thank you very much, thats what i thought, but just wanted to check before i messed up my profile, which has finally got to about what it should be
Moominfish
Grafter

So to clarify in my router settings where it says connect/disconnect that's fine, this setting here,

But this option here in the diagnostics section where it says REBOOT that's what messes up IP profiles?
severedsolo
Grafter

yes, if you continually reboot (i think its something like 3 times in an hour) or if you sync twice at a lower rate then that can mess up your profile, i believe the multiple reboots will raise your target SNR margin as it thinks its a fault and tries to compensate
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the disconnect still keeps a session open on the line, a reboot (power down) the router to many times makes BT think your line is rubbish
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Er, slight confusion of terms there?
A 'disconnect' as illustrated by Moominfish, will drop the PPP session but maintain sync with the DSLAM in the exchange.
A 'reboot', whether by clicking an option on the router's interface or de-powering, will drop everything and cause a re-sync.
Either can be used to 'gateway hop', but obviously the former is preferable.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

now now fork handle, is that what I said?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I don't think so, pierre. You said:
Quote from: pierre_pierre
the disconnect still keeps a session open...

but it doesn't. It drops the session while maintaining sync.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)