cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Failed to Connect" error messages

hamilton36
Grafter

"Failed to Connect" error messages

My computer is on Standby during the day when I am not using it and quite often when I log on into Firebird I get the error message "Failed to connect to server mail.plus.net".  I have to click on <Try Again>, often several times before I can collect my emails.  This has started happening recently, say, 2 months ago.
I am using Voyager 210 router and all 4 lights are on when Firebird fails to connect.  It happens only when loging on from Standby.
As my ISP is Plus.net and the broadband is connected how is it possible that Firebird cannot connect to the server?
Thanks,
Alex
6 REPLIES 6
hamilton36
Grafter

Re: "Failed to Connect" error messages

Interesting that no one has replied nor offered an explanation to my message.  The problem presists and I have a sneaking suspicion that this is Plus.net fault, but it would be nice to have a confirmation.  I had a problem sending an email just now. "Firefox could not connect to server?" was the message.
Alex
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

When you say computer is on standby - what do you mean exactly - is it powered up but in hibernation ?
is the Ethernet port still on and connected to router ?
If not - it takes a while for the computer to waken up the Ethernet path to the server.
Does that same happen with web browser ?Huh
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: Mal08
When you say computer is on standby - what do you mean exactly - is it powered up but in hibernation ?
is the Ethernet port still on and connected to router ?
If not - it takes a while for the computer to waken up the Ethernet path to the server.
Does that same happen with web browser ?Huh

Yes, the computer is powered but in hibernation - i.e. the drives are not running and there is no display on the monitor, but a single dab on the power button restores it without loading Windows or having to use the password.  Yes the same happens with the browser.  In fact, once or twice I received emails, but when I tried to send a reply I got the error message "Firefox cannot connect to the server Plus.net.  The computer is connected to the router via ethernet lead and the router is on and all four green lights showing.
Thanks,
Alex
James
Grafter

Hiya,
If this is only happening when your computer is going into hibernation then it *will not* be a Plusnet problem as your connection is working (from what I can tell) absolutely fine when the computers running in its normal state.
I don't suppose you have any idle timeout settings on your router?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I used to get something similar with my wireless connection on my laptop.  If it went into hibernation then it would not transfer any traffic over it's wireless link even though it appeared to be connected.  Leave it long enough (10 - 15 mins maybe) and all would be ok.  This was eventually fixed when new drivers for the wirless chip in the laptop became available.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Sounds like it might be a DHCP address allocation problem when the network card comes out of hibernation.
Next time it happens check with ipconfig to see if you have been allocated a valid IP address by the router.
You could also check the DHCP lease time on the router it may be set to a short time and is expiring whilst the computer is in standby. If possible set it to a very long time, days if possible and that might help.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.