Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Err Connection Timed Out" errors

thomashood

Re: "Err Connection Timed Out" errors

Quote from: Townman
GOOD Diagnostics!
Your OP said "Technicolor" but did not specify the model - given the results you've posted I would guess that its the TG582n - an important piece of information.  Can you please confirm the firmware version number.
The problem that you have encountered is related to an odd interaction between Win8, Win8.1 and Win10 with the TG582n router amongst others.  198.18.1.X is what is known as a 'spoofed' IP address.  It is something which the TG routers do in a less than obvious situation.
The problem here is not a disconnected internet, but rather one of not obtaining the correct address for the service you are trying to connect to.  These OSs then cache the incorrect addresses and then take a while to recover.  This can be proved by doing the following...
When you get the problem again, do the ping again, note the address - it is 198.18.1.X then its the same problem
Then run a DNS query

C:\Users\Kevin>nslookup
Default Server:  cdns01.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.9
> www.vwlowen.co.uk
Server:  cdns01.plus.net
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.vwlowen.co.uk
Address:  82.165.51.68
> exit

You will see that it reports a different (correct) address.  If you ping it again, you'll get the same wrong address.
You can clear this issue by making WINx clear its DNS resolution cache

C:\Users\Kevin>ipconfig /flushdns
Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

If you then ping the address again, it should be the same as that given by the DNS lookup.  This 'resolution' will last until you run into the same situation again.  The cause of this is (at the moment) unexplained.  I have asked PlusNet to investigate the matter with their product supplier.
There is a work-around for this - far from ideal, but pragmatic.  On devices impacted by this, manually set the DNS servers on the Network Interface to use something other than the router.  I've used PN's DNS servers and have not seen the problem again.
The odd thing about all of this is that other devices do not seem to be affected which suggests that this is not an entirely TG582n issue, rather something to do with its interaction with Winx or its recovery from DNS lookup issues.
See also - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.0.html

Hi Townman,
I've just come across this thread (and your incredibly helpful reply!) and seem to have the exact same issue.
[tt]C:\Users\thoma>ping www.vwlowen.co.uk
Pinging www.vwlowen.co.uk [198.18.1.48] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 198.18.1.48:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),[/tt]
...and:
[tt]C:\Users\thoma>nslookup
Default Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.1.254
> www.vwlowen.co.uk
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Name:    www.vwlowen.co.uk
Address:  82.165.51.68[/tt]
My router is a TG582n, Software Release: 10.2.5.2 and I recently upgraded both laptops experiencing the issue to Win 10.
Do you know if Plusnet are replacing these routers or offering any other update?  A router that doesn't work with Windows is clearly not fit for purpose.
Thanks,
Tom
thomashood

Re: "Err Connection Timed Out" errors

Quote from: thomashood
Quote from: Townman
GOOD Diagnostics!
Your OP said "Technicolor" but did not specify the model - given the results you've posted I would guess that its the TG582n - an important piece of information.  Can you please confirm the firmware version number.
The problem that you have encountered is related to an odd interaction between Win8, Win8.1 and Win10 with the TG582n router amongst others.  198.18.1.X is what is known as a 'spoofed' IP address.  It is something which the TG routers do in a less than obvious situation.
The problem here is not a disconnected internet, but rather one of not obtaining the correct address for the service you are trying to connect to.  These OSs then cache the incorrect addresses and then take a while to recover.  This can be proved by doing the following...
When you get the problem again, do the ping again, note the address - it is 198.18.1.X then its the same problem
Then run a DNS query

C:\Users\Kevin>nslookup
Default Server:  cdns01.plus.net
> www.vwlowen.co.uk
Server:  cdns01.plus.net
Name:    www.vwlowen.co.uk
Address:  82.165.51.68
> exit

You will see that it reports a different (correct) address.  If you ping it again, you'll get the same wrong address.
You can clear this issue by making WINx clear its DNS resolution cache

C:\Users\Kevin>ipconfig /flushdns
Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

If you then ping the address again, it should be the same as that given by the DNS lookup.  This 'resolution' will last until you run into the same situation again.  The cause of this is (at the moment) unexplained.  I have asked PlusNet to investigate the matter with their product supplier.
There is a work-around for this - far from ideal, but pragmatic.  On devices impacted by this, manually set the DNS servers on the Network Interface to use something other than the router.  I've used PN's DNS servers and have not seen the problem again.
The odd thing about all of this is that other devices do not seem to be affected which suggests that this is not an entirely TG582n issue, rather something to do with its interaction with Winx or its recovery from DNS lookup issues.
See also - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.0.html

Hi Townman,
I've just come across this thread (and your incredibly helpful reply!) and seem to have the exact same issue.
[tt]C:\Users\thoma>ping www.vwlowen.co.uk
Pinging www.vwlowen.co.uk [198.18.1.48] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 198.18.1.48:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),[/tt]
...and:
[tt]C:\Users\thoma>nslookup
Default Server:  dsldevice.lan
> www.vwlowen.co.uk
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Name:    www.vwlowen.co.uk
Address:  82.165.51.68[/tt]
My router is a TG582n, Software Release: 10.2.5.2 and I recently upgraded both laptops experiencing the issue to Win 10.
Do you know if Plusnet are replacing these routers or offering any other update?  A router that doesn't work with Windows is clearly not fit for purpose.
Thanks,
Tom

ah... I've just ploughed through 9 pages of the thread you linked and this post seems to have fixed my issue.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.msg1298207.html#msg1298207