Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

query on speed for broadband

Captainkirk
Grafter

query on speed for broadband

Hi,
We switched over to adsl max towards the beginning of December - James kindly sorted things out for us when the speed didn't alter from the fixed 1mb.  We started off by seeing speeds of around 2.5 mb and it eventually seemed to settle itself around 2 and seemed stable.  Had to disconnect the router and since then we have seen a connection of around 1.3 mb.  Router was switched off over Christmas period and reconnection gave the figures below - these have not altered since the router was switched on some 10 days ago - is the connection speed supposed to have crept up a little?  It hasn't moved and the router hasn't seen a drop in connection since it was switched on.  The noise margin is probably a little higher than reported below as the Netgear reporting for the margin goes down of its own accord the longer the router is on  Smiley  Our profile is 2mb - should something be happening?  I'm not complaining - we thought we'd never see above 1mb as we are at the end of a long line - just interested as its been so stable and not moved and had seemed stable when it was nearer the 2.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1216 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 11 db 20 db
Tracey.
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: query on speed for broadband

The only reason is interference. If you plug the router into the master socket with everything else removed from the line and the sync speed does not increase then there is very little that we can do, however doing the above will at least show if the change was caused by something in your premises.
Hope that helps,
Captainkirk
Grafter

Hi Orbrey - router is already plugged into master socket - funny thing is broadband was stable at 2 mb - it was only when I had to disconnect the router that it didn't go back up - I understand from reading some of the posts that max is supposed to creep up to a stable point after a disconnection but it doesn't happen - the connection speed doesn't move at all.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is that with other phones and such plugged into the line? Also do you have sky+, or are any christmas decorations still plugged in (to the mains) that could be emitting electrical interference?
Captainkirk
Grafter

Its all as it was Orbrey - I put in one of those sockets where the broadband is separated at the main socket many moons ago (can't remember the name!!)- router goes straight into that - only have one main phone - no extensions.  All christmas lights have gone  Cry  No sky or anything fancy Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm. Not really sure we can do anything then unfortunately, unless the speed drops even further. It does look like it's decreased steadily since the 10th December (when the first report was received I believe) and if it drops below 900k we'll e able to raise a line fault for you.
Sorry that we can't do anything further, perhaps it would be worth trying the connection in the test socket to see if there's an issue with the filter faceplate?
Captainkirk
Grafter

Thanks Orbrey - I'll do that in the next couple of days - didn't report a fault on the 10th - no connection speed change happened - something to do with it still being on the fixed 1mb apparently - when that was sorted it whizzed up to 2.5mb - thought the world was coming to an end  Grin  Should have known it was too good to last.  Just as a matter of interest why isn't the BRAS profile moving up since the connection is so stable - everybody seems to say that it should be creeping up until it becomes unstable - that's the bit I don't understand.
Tracey.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you check the router logs to see if there are any disconnections showing? The only reason it wouldn't jump up is if the same error keeps happening, and this would be shown in the logs. If it's not then we need to get BT to reset the profile and let it retrain, but this is not an easy process unfortunately.
Captainkirk
Grafter

Can't see anything wrong with them but have pm'd them to you just in case.  Hope this was ok
Tracey
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, I must admit there's nothing on there that seems odd. I'm not too sure why the profile started so high and then dropped but I'll raise it with BT and request a reset of the profile (this will probably take about a week or so to get actioned) to see if this gives you a better speed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Having run a test on the line I'd rather call you to discuss this before raising the issue, any chance you can drop me a PM letting me know when you're available?
Captainkirk
Grafter

I've sent a message Matt - thanks,
Tracey