cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

puzzled by upstream and downstream rates

gyre
Grafter

Re: puzzled by upstream and downstream rates

As far as I know, the routers weren't deliberately forcing a sync on adsl2+.  They were just attempting to choose the best option automatically.
Luckily the speedtouch 585v7 does allows telnetting in and forcing adsl1, adsl2, and adsl2+, but I've tried forcing 2 and 2+ before and it hasn't worked.
There is an option on the web GUI on the DG834Gv3 to select adsl1, but it didn't seem to take effect when I tried it. There's probably a telnet command to do it.  I'll just have to google around a bit should I switch back to that modem.
One of the joys of having: DG834Gv3(x2), DG834Gv4, ST585v7(x2), ST585v6, 3Wire 2700HG, ST510v4... in my junk box is that I can swap and play Smiley
-- gyre --
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your Speedtouch showed ITU-T G.992.5 which is ADSL2+ (ADSL2 is 992.3) so you managed to get it on there somehow!
gyre
Grafter

I know.  That's what alerted me to the problem.  I didn't see that type of information on the DG834G, but it did give some crap on the stats readout about the possible upload rate being in the 800kbps range rather than 448kbps as per ADSL1.
The ST585v7 (plusnet branded, but acting as a dumb modem), by default, tries all 3 types of syncing, and chooses the 'best'.  Until this last weekend, that's always been ADSL1.  I've tried in the past to deliberately force ADSL2 and ADSL2+ but it has always ended up syncing as ADSL1, so I left it on the automatic default.
I had a 'please put my line back to interleave' request actioned in the last week.  Could it be that BT mis-understood your request, cos it's a really odd coincidence that ADSL2+-type syncing started happening around the same time as my connection has gone from fast path to interleave on.
Tee hee.
-- gyre --
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The potential upload speed is unrelated to ADSL2 etc. but is just a calculation based on whet would be expected to be the speed with a 6dB noise margin.
It is possible to check whether you are on ADSL1 or 2 with the Netgear but you need to Telnet in using the 'adslctl info --show' command
gyre
Grafter

Ah, OK, Jim.
I should have said that the stats posted earlier were from a DG834Gv3, not a v4.  I think the v3 has a TI AR7 chipset and not a Broadcom one, therefore probably doesn't have the adslctrl command, but has other means of extracting the information from cat-ing entries in /proc/avalanche.
Thanks.
-- gyre --
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've checked your interleaving order and Orbrey regraded you to ADSL2+ at the same time!
gyre
Grafter

That explains everything Smiley
-- gyre --