cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

purleigh : exchange congestion on EAPUR ?

AndyH
Grafter

Re: purleigh : exchange congestion on EAPUR ?

Form an action group and complain to Openreach, Superfast Essex, MPs, Councillors etc.
You never know, they might see the demand and change their plans (it has happened before). Other thing to do is look at some private deal - there are quite a few good examples of this now.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Already done that, as have local influential business owners.
Unfortunately the whole BDUK scheme is geared to meeting the government target of providing >30Mbps fibre to 90% of the population - which means upgrading the towns and tough titty to everyone else. 
In Essex the BDUK fibre roll-out will only achieve 87% coverage.
For the remaining 13%, we are promised a minimum of 2Mbps by the end of 2016 - bloody marvelous !
Superfast Essex are simply not interested if you are not in their target 90% area, or if you suggest ANY alternative to BT FTTC - because that is all BT have told them they can have (to achieve >30Mbps).
Personally I am not actually that bothered about fibre,  but I am frustrated with being on a 20CN connection.
My ideal upgrade would be to have my exchange upgraded to 21CN ADSL2+  as my current line stats show that I would get 21168Kbps which is more than enough and doesn't involve digging up the roads or installing new cabinets.
Do you think anyone is interested in using BDUK money to upgrade exchanges to 21CN ?  -  No !
AndyH
Grafter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have been regularly checking their website for a couple of years, but their largest monthly allowance package has always been 40GB - which was nowhere near enough.
The new data allowances in todays press release from your link actually look more realistic and are worthy of consideration.    Cool
I have wondered what the latency would be like using wireless broadband over their relatively large coverage area  Huh
Thanks
AndyH
Grafter

There's an old thread on TBB with some info - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/wirelessbb/3848479-new-long-distance-wireless-broadband-in-essex.ht...
Latency looked ok, but packet loss was very high. I haven't seen too much else about it.
Might be worth looking at this - http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/rural-broadband/Fibre-roll-out.aspx If you can get some interest parties together, Openreach will give you a costing for FTTC/P (email is on there somewhere for Openreach). From what I've read so far, there are some grants you can get and most councils match the funding.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Chris
Your exchange does have congestions issues, our suppliers are aware of the issue and have plans for this to be resolved by 30/06/2014
I appreciate that this isn't exactly soon, however, this is the earliest they are able to allocate the work for this.

I'm not convinced that the previous exchange congestion work was ever completed.
It is noticeable on my SamKnows reporting graphs, that since March this year (when the congestion started), that peak time download speeds have continued to steadily drop, and on the current trend with become unusable by Christmas.  Recently the slowest peak time speeds have been very close to the minimum acceptable speed as quoted by the BTW performance tester.
As always my modem connection to the exchange is running at full speed, near zero errors, no ppp drops for about four months, etc.
Can someone take a look to see whether my exchange is currently reporting congestion, and when is the expected resolution date ?
Exchange name is "Purleigh"
Exchange code is "EAPUR"
Thanks
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Thanks for coming back to us.
Of the available data, we have one VP which is red and due to be upgraded in March next year, plus two ambers and a few under capacity. Now, I'm presuming you are connected to the most congested VP.
I'm searching for other customers connected at your exchange in the hope of raising this to BT as a pro-active fault for you all, or, failing that, I can ask that we do a TPM for you moving you onto a less contended VP. The trouble with this, is that the lead time is 3-5 working days and I have to advise of the possibility of downtime. If you want me to go ahead with the TPM, could you please raise a ticket on your account and then make me aware of the ID so I can sort this for you?
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'plusnettony' : Thank you for looking into this issue for me, and for providing such a comprehensive response.  Cool

While there is a temptation to go straight for the "quick fix" by requesting a move to a less contended VP, but because exchange congestion is a recurring theme here, moving to a less busy VP will only be a short term solution as the alternate VPs will soon become filled to capacity as the demands on the exchange continue to grow.  However I will keep this solution in mind, for if your alternative suggestion doesn't come to anything, or if my connection becomes completely unusable in the mean time.

In the first instance I would like to see how far you get with-
[quote=plusnettony]searching for other customers connected at your exchange in the hope of raising this to BT as a pro-active fault for you all,
because that should provide a long term solution by increasing the capacity of the exchange, and be a benefit not just to me but also to all my neighbours who are also suffering near non-existent speeds during the evenings.
Please let me know how you get along with your search,  and I will try and get my neighbours to report congestion faults to their ISPs - to help the process along.

When you saw the information regarding -
[quote=plusnettony]due to be upgraded in March next year
was that -

• JUST for the red VP ?

• or the overall capacity of all the VPs ?

• was there any sign that this upgrade would coincide with the exchange (ever) getting upgraded to 21CN ADSL2 ?

Thanks again !  Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,
I've been digging out records re other faults but I'm not having much look to be honest.  I'll keep digging.
The date I saw was, rather frustratingly, just for the red VP. I've not seen any news on 21cn at your exchange Sad
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: plusnettony
I've been digging out records re other faults but I'm not having much look to be honest.  I'll keep digging.

There is another customer here complaining about slow speeds on my exchange - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122880.msg1066167.html#msg1066167

How many customers complaining about congestion on an exchange do you require to put in a request to BT as a pro-active fault ?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Thanks, the details have been noted.
I need as many as possible, but I wouldn't like to go with less than five.
Ideally I also need faults raised on all accounts. This should help.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: plusnettony
Of the available data, we have one VP which is red and due to be upgraded in March next year, plus two ambers and a few under capacity. Now, I'm presuming you are connected to the most congested VP.

As it has been nearly three months since I last asked about when my exchange capacity is due to be upgraded, can you check for me that the date hasn't slipped even further, as this congestion problem has existed for nearly a year, and the previously stated March date was already nine months after the originally quoted fix date (30/06/2014).
Is there a specific date when this congestion issue will be resolved ?
Exchange name is "Purleigh"
Exchange code is "EAPUR"
If the date is still in March 2015, then I'm 'happy' to wait a few weeks longer, as my router's caching proxy eliminates much of the peak time latency when web browsing, and I can schedule large downloads to be done overnight.  Roll_eyes
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

From what we can see the date has dropped off alltogether  Undecided
There are two blue VP's at your exchange now so if your okay with it I can have a word with our suppliers and try to get you moved to one of them?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Matthew
From what we can see the date has dropped off alltogether  Undecided

Why are BT Wholesale allowed to get away with this when they are the monopoly supplier on an exchange. Strikes me a word with OFCOM might be in order.
Markyboyster

Its been a fair while sionce this thread has been updated and as I have an interest in the exchange i was wondering if anything has been done about the congestion at this exchange? I wonder if someone at plusnet or the users can update the thread with the congestion on the VP's and the user experience now?