Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profile stuck - JoJo help agin please?

james26
Grafter

profile stuck - JoJo help agin please?

Hi,
About 7 weeks back JoJo was kind enough to improve my ADSL by putting Interleaving on and moving my profile which helped a lot.
See: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90204.16.html
I sadly can not get any ware near 5.5mb of speed but resisged  myself to 4 to 4.5mb max.... But in the last few weeks or so my sync speed has been stuck at, 4538! only give a profile of 3500 instead of profile of 4000 or 4500 giving a lower speed for 3.4mb max!
So help can JoJo or any one else from the plusnet team doing anything please for me? like move profile to 4000 or 4500 thanks.

James.
PS below right now from router (netgear DG834G v4):
ADSL Link:                Downstream          Upstream
Connection Speed:    4538 kbps          439 kbps
Line Attenuation:          46 db                13.5 db
Noise Margin:              6 db                    21 db
14 REPLIES 14
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: profile stuck - JoJo help agin please?

It looks like the DLM at the exchange might have put you on a banded profile due to perceived instability with the connection (ie frequent dropping). Did you go through the fault checker (as a dropping connection fault) as mentioned by Jojo towards the end of your previous thread?
David
james26
Grafter

Hi,
No not in the end! Do you think it's worth doing that? I don't want to be charged £100's for a BT man to come out, it works but not all that fast as should be and got everything done my side I could think of! I recon it's the line coming up the drive over the 3 poles from main road
James.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

It's sad that fear of being charged £144+VAT for "fault in user wiring/equipment" discourages users from progressing genuine faults. The preliminary tests requested by Plusnet try to reduce the risk of that to the minimum possible. This includes trying a different router and plugging into the test socket (after removing the face plate) and using a different filter.
The preliminaries described in the dropping connection guide cover those items and if you progress into the Broadband Troubleshooter linked from the page initially the fault investigation will not involve a BT call out unless a fault is found. The initial tests use a Knowledge Based System which is fully automatic.
My feeling from what you've posted is that something is wrong and needs sorting out - even the router stats you posted last night have a lowish Noise Margin for the sync speed. My suggestion is to ensure you've completed the preliminaries, then progress into the Faults Troubleshooter and see what develops.
David
David
james26
Grafter

just gone to give the fault checker a go and i got:
"Error
Sorry, An error occured whilst processing your request.
The error has been recorded and our website team will investigate. Please try again later."
james.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Just tried the early steps of the Broadband Troubleshooter selecting dropping connection and it appeared to be working for me. I suggest trying again.
David
David
james26
Grafter

hi,
That's good it works for you but not for me! Angry I've tried a other web browser. and still the same!
My internet agin at 13:30 hung and i had to reboot the router to get back online
James.
james26
Grafter

However it seems to have started a ticket so I added more info to that! Hopefully plusnet CS can get this solved and nice BT person could turn up with a ladder!

James.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi james26,
Your line is banded between 2272Kbps - 4544Kbps so that's why your profile won't go any higher. I'll try getting this lifted into the next band and hopefully this should lift your sync and profile. I'll let you know how I get on.
Jojo Smiley
james26
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for reply: Why dose the internet keep 'hanging' make me reconnect the router? That along with slow speed is the two problems! The guy down on main road (two numbers out from me) has BT internet and gets nearly 6Mb! i would be happy with 5MB AND it works 24/7! Today I am get 3MB and that not working! 

Attached BT test results. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi james26,
I have lifted the banding now and will keep checking to see when the profile changes. It shouldn't be too long. As far as the 'hanging' goes are you connected with wireless or ethernet?
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi james26,
Your profile is now back to 4500, you should see this if you reboot your router.
Jojo Smiley
james26
Grafter

hi jojo,
The router is back to 6605, so if it holds and that is the big thing, it will be 5mb>! thanks! But I don't think it will hold for the rest of the day!
In answer to your 1st post:
I use wireless and wired via ethernet, I go log on fine via the ethernet to the router and then the only way to bring back the internet is to reboot the router, ping inside the netgear does not even work but rebooting does. Tried another router and same happens.
james.
james26
Grafter

hi,
Well been 27 hours now and.... still holding good at 5805 it wait down from 6000 odd but if it holds I will be very happy!
Thank you for what you did JoJo.
James. 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi James,
Hope it does hold for you. I can see you've put an order in to move to 21CN, we'll see what happens with regard to the fault once that completes.