cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with laptop and internet

tonybarbar

problems with laptop and internet

Right, i am having problems connecting a laptop to wireless network. I have been trying to sort this problem for a friends dad for two weeks now. The internet works fine on the PC he has upstairs, but when i try and connect the laptop it's just a no go. Firstly i couldn't connect the laptop at all (so updated the firmware on the router to 8.2.6.5 he has the TG585 v7 router) and i was able to connect the laptop but got Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED) in google chrome. Today i went to his house to try and fix this "105 error" but I'm now back at square one of not being able to connect the laptop to the network. I tried my wireless adapter that i have and the one he had to see if it made any difference but it doesn't. The connect seems to fail at the trying to get network address stage and just goes to limited connectivity. I have ruled it out being the laptop as when i bring it home i can connect to my internet (which is virgin) and go online straight away
Also when i was at their house today trying to connect the laptop i was basically sat right next to the router. I can get online on the laptop via ethernet cable. 
I just don't know what else to try, and everything just seems to point to it being a router/ plus net internet problem.
7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: problems with laptop and internet

Welcome to the PN Forum
What make of Laptop is it, some only like the US channels 1 to 11.
What operating system, Win XP win 7 Mac or linux?
There is a problem on the V8, but generally the V7 is OK
Denzil
Grafter

If it works on another PC,  and on this one with a cable, then the problem is local and not with Plusnet. It sounds like it might be a DHCP issue. Check the connection settings for he wireless network (tell us what the OS is if you need detailed instructions), and make sure it is set to obtain a DHCP address automatically. In case you don't know, DHCP is the process of assigning a local IP address to computers on a network. On a simple home network like this, that is normally done by the router.
tonybarbar

The laptop is an old compaq presario 700 and it's running XP. Regrading the DHCP could you send me instructions please (thanks) I know someone else on these forums has the 105 error but it was because there network settings weren't set to obtain ip and dns servers automatically - which is what i checked today and they are set to obtain automatically. 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

It does sound like a DHCP issue but you seem to have already checked the laptop settings and it works fine with your Virgin router which sort of knocks that on the head.
Does anything else work OK wirelessly with his router ?
The default encryption on the TG585 is wpa2/wpa, maybe the network card can't support WPA , you could change it to WEP to check that ( although WEP is MUCH less secure ).
You also might try changing the SSID on his PlusNet router. The default SSID is quite long and some systems can have trouble with long SSID's , try something about 8 characters.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tonybarbar

It's not the encryption as my home network is WPA2. I haven't took my laptop over there to test it, i might have too. But it's just weird that the computer upstairs (which is a PC not a laptop) works fine  as soon as you plug the wireless adapter into it, it connects and he can use the internet fine. But as soon as i take the adapter out and plug it into the laptop it just don't work. I am really at a lost of what to try next. The only thing i have done to the laptop recently was
" Start
Run
Cmd
netsh winsock reset catalog
enter
nets int ip reset reset.log
enter
reboot pc"
which were some instructions i found online to try and fix the 105 error in google chrome. Could this effect the wireless settings on the laptop ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tonybarbar,
Quote from: tonybarbar
But as soon as i take the adapter out and plug it into the laptop it just don't work.

Have you installed the software and settings for the adapter on your laptop?
Jojo Smiley
tonybarbar

Problem solved now, not sure what done it. But i think i had some software conflicting going on. Sometimes it's just the littlest things that get over looked that make the difference lol. But anyway thanks for all those who tried to help Cheesy Hopefully this thread might be useful to someone in the future.