Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with Plusnet site

albert
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

problem with Plusnet site

My BB speed seems to be passable (2755/373 kbps according to mybroadbandspeed.com) but I find that navigating around the Plusnet site is very slow. I've navigated around looking at my usage and changing the package but I have to wait for about a minute every time I want to move to a new page. Is that everyone's experience?  The forum pages seem to be much quicker.
I know this is a different question, so ignore if it's not allowed, but I'm wondering if there is any advantage switching from a wireless modem to a hard-wired modem for the two external computers in our home network? I've got a friend who is an environmental type and he is convinced that all the radio waves are going to fry our family's brains. I am not sure about that but I was wondering how you go about getting a 'plugged in' modem. I couldn't see any in Staples or Currys. If I did decide to switch is it difficult?
Sorry to be so non-technical.
8 REPLIES 8
scootie
Grafter

Re: problem with Plusnet site

which model router do you have?
its most likely a case of buying a couple of good lengths of ethernet cable(cat5) and pluging into your router and then switching off the wireless on your router. shop around for it, dont just go to pc world or currys as when looked a week or so ago they were looking for £30-£40 for 5m an 10m length of belkin cat5e fed up of those 2 stores in my town every thing is belkin theres no choice  Angry
you can pick the same or even greater lengths up on likes of ebay,amazon for £5-£10 may not be the best qaulity but then again is belkin
wireless being dangrous to be honest tho i think its just myth's. I own a lot animals, reptiles and i saw no change in there behaviour when we started using wireless in this house if i had to choice one wireless technology to be scared of is the mobile phone . thats my take on it anyway.
i see no slow downs when browsing plusnet site
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi albert,
navigating round the plusnet main site can be slow on occassions. Various users have complained of problems from time to time. Mid evening is likely to be one of the busiest times when there may be some network or exchange congestion.
Check you exchange VP status http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ ; hopefully it will be green.
If you have a wireless modem it's likely to be a modem/router and will have some ethernet sockets for hardwired connections. If you tell us the make, model and version, someone could advise further.
The advantage of hardwired is that it is not vunerable to interference or weak signal, but it might mean longish ethernet cables, not that this is a problem but it may not be convenient. As long as you have a full signal with wireles and your channel doesn't have another local network on to cause problems, you should be OK.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'external' computer, but if you have a desktop next to the modem/router it would be better to have it hard wired.
Edit : I see ASBO's typing faster than me tonight Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If your wireless signal is weak, you can get lots of re-transmissions leading to slow browsing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

would this just happen every time they went to plusnet site and not other websites then evil Smiley
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules  should know better]
albert
Rising Star

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry not to come back sooner. I thought that I'd be notified if someone replied.
It's now 07.47 in the a.m.  When I clicked on 'PlusNet' in my favourites box, it took at least a minute to connect. If this is typical PN must be losing a lot of business.
DG834G v2 is what  is written on the Netgear router. You are quite correct. There is a wire connecting it to my pc. But my daughter's PC is in her room and my wife has a laptop - both of which are connected wirelessly. I was just wondering what I would have to do to 'cable' connect them.
Apparently I now have 'limited or no connectivity' - the joys of country living!  Cheesy
Let's see if this goes...
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

We really need to look at your modem/router's ADSL line stats, to see if you've got a line problem etc.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: albert
Apparently I now have 'limited or no connectivity' - the joys of country living!   Cheesy

Is that displayed on your PC?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
albert
Rising Star

The connectivity is OK again but I still find that it takes a long time to navigate round the Plusnet site (whereas it's very quick on other sites).