Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printing over my network

hulls
Grafter

printing over my network

Hi
I'm trying to allow my son's (Vista) computer to use my printer (XP)
The XP printer drivers are installed on my PC and the Vista one's are on my son's.  His computer can find the printer on the network, but won't install it on to his computer.
What am I doing wrong?
John
8 REPLIES 8
itsme
Grafter

Re: printing over my network

Normally the drivers are installed from the PC that has the printer attached to it. So select the Add Printer Wizard and select the option Network Printer and use the Browse for option. I assume that you have enabled printer sharing on the PC that has the printer attached?
hulls
Grafter

The printer is shared, and the Vista machine finds it ok, but it won't add it to the printers folder on the Vista machine.
John
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

hulls
Grafter

I hadn't, thanks.
I'll have a read, and let you know how I get on.  AT first glance it looks as if it's describing sharing a printer connected to the Voista machine, whereas mine's connected to the XP machine, but it's worth a look. Smiley
John
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This one may be more use linky
hulls
Grafter

Tried the first link.  The network sees the printer, but when I try to add it to the printer folder, and when I try to connect to it using the instructions in the M$ link, it says access is denied.  Sad
I'll try plan B
Thanks for your help
John
hulls
Grafter

The second link works a treat.
For anyone else interested, you need to add the printer to the Vista machine as a local printer, create a new port and set that as the network path to the printer (the path is case sensitive).
You will be prompted to install the drivers.
Go ahead and do that (the drivers for my HP printer were already on the list of available drivers)
Job jobbed Grin
John
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Happy to help - I have now bookmarked the link for when I go Vista in the near future