Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postini

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: postini

How will one be easily able to spot that one has been transferred to Postini? Something that is clear to a tecchie simpleton Embarrassed Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you stop getting lots of spam, how else?    Huh
and you loose mail you should have got Cry
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you stop getting lots of spam, how else?    Huh
and you loose mail you should have got Cry
OK, but that in itself does not tell one that one is on Postini. It is not evidence. What will be viewable to say that the transfer has been made? I take it that your asnwer was flippant Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Run the command
nslookup -type=mx username.plus.com

or
nslookup -type=mx domainname.co.uk

The results from the first will contain "postini", the second will contain something like domainname.s5a1.psmtp.com
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Or if you don't want to get involved in command lines then another way of checking is to look at the ‘Internet header’ for a message received over the last few days (today is best).
If you are using Outlook Express right click on the message header (the line displayed in your ‘Inbox’ before you open the message).
From the pop up menu select and click on ‘Properties’
In the small window that opens click the [Details] tab to bring it forward
Check the ‘From:’ lines it should mention something like xxxxxxxmx249.postini.com to confirm if the message was scanned by Postini.
With Outlook 2003 (may work with other versions) proceed as above but select and click ‘Options’ and the header details will be displayed in the next open window at the bottom.
Hope this will help, P.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

...or put your domain (the bit to the right of @) into this and look for Postini.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
oliverb
Grafter

(sound of crickets chirping)
Yep the volume of spam has gone down a bit!!
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

(Oh goodey, another Chekhov fan) Grin Grin Grin
tammyd

Quote from: jelv
I've seen other posts like this - it looks like something went very, very wrong with the last batch of people who were moved to Postini (something similar has happened previously so how it's happened again... !)

I have been happily using Mailwasher, with settings in PlusNet Manage My Mail having spam filtering off. Spam filtering in Mailwasher has been working just fine and my own filtering system has been very effective, spam emails being deleted automatically and confidently without my ever seeing them. That's been perfectly ok for months, ever since the disastrous email leak at PlusNet happened.
Now I believe my email is being routed (unasked for by me) through Postini - On the 20th, Received: from source ([]) by exprod5mx223.postini.com ([]) with SMTP; - and I also believe I must have lost emails because of this latest happening. As far as I can figure it out I won't be able to check since they will have been deleted on the server by Mailwasher! I have now had to alter all my own spam filtering and will see ALL of the spam, God help me!
I want to receive my email, all of it, as is and not suffer the risk of losing anything important through the repeated errors of others. I do not want my email to be filtered by anyone other than myself.
What, if anything (other than changing ISP) can I do about this? And how can I find out if I've lost mail?
Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Why do you think you've lost email?
Everyone but around two thirds of PN customers and PNUK customers are now on Postini. I can get you removed if you really feel that strongly about it (we'll offer this functionality via the portal soon), but it won't be long before the rbl's, Dspam and Clam are switched off on the old mail platform meaning *everything* will be delivered to you (bear in mind that we blocked some stuff from coming through to you even before the implementation of Postini.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tammyd

Bob, thank you for your reply. I believe I have lost mail because some replies I was expecting have not been received.
I do feel strongly about this and it's very rare for me to post here at all. Prior to the email address leak I was one of those who had been very, very careful with my email addresses and I received very little spam. Afterwards, when spam came flooding in, I found filtering with Mailwasher to be perfectly satisfactory and I did not complain - mistakes do happen, complaining doesn't really help.
It seems that more errors may have resulted in the possible loss of emails and I am. I'm afraid, losing patience since the loss of legitimate emails is in my opinion the worst thing to happen.
I don't know what the effect of switching off rbl's, Dspam and Clam will be on the level of spam received and so I can only express the wish to be removed, if the possibility of errors exist, from Postini filtering and wait and see. I have the Catch-all off which I hope has the effect of refusing all but named mailboxes.
I presume I'm correct in thinking I cannot now find out if I've lost mail?
digital
Grafter

Quote from: tammyd
I have been happily using Mailwasher, with settings in PlusNet Manage My Mail having spam filtering off. Spam filtering in Mailwasher has been working just fine and my own filtering system has been very effective, spam emails being deleted automatically and confidently without my ever seeing them.

I've been using a similar system but without Mailwasher automatically deleting emails it deems to be spam: even Mailwasher isn't that good and Firetrust suggest that it's a little risky.
Why not alter it to delete when you click on 'Process Mail'?
tammyd

I had altered the settings to do just that once I learnt of possible errors with Postini. I will now have to see the spam mail that is received before deleting it Sad
It wasn't risky to automatically delete spam according to the rules I set and I hope to return to that system, it worked very well indeed. There were always some borderline mails that were simply marked to delete on 'Process Mail'. But very few.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: tammyd
I don't know what the effect of switching off rbl's, Dspam and Clam will be on the level of spam received and so I can only express the wish to be removed, if the possibility of errors exist, from Postini filtering and wait and see. I have the Catch-all off which I hope has the effect of refusing all but named mailboxes.

OK, I shall see if I can remove you tomorrow however the change will take 24-48 hours to propagate due to the nature of DNS.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tammyd

Quote from: Bob

OK, I shall see if I can remove you tomorrow however the change will take 24-48 hours to propagate due to the nature of DNS.

Thanks Bob Smiley