cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor speed for some time now

rikmoncur
Grafter

poor speed for some time now

I've only once really had a speed of 6Mb.
normally, at off-peak times I can just manage just over 3Mb but mostly it's a struggle to get 2Mb.
My sync speed - which used to be 7000 has been at only 4000 for quite some time.
Exchange shows green.
My router says the connection speed is 6336
MTU is optimised at 1430
I'm not too far from the exchage.
what's going on? can plusnet do anything here?
4 REPLIES 4
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: poor speed for some time now

Have you tried the bell wire trick?
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
James
Grafter

Hi Rik,
I think you're confusing some terms here, which is easily done!  The connection speed that you are referring to is actually your sync speed.  It's currently sat at 6464Kbps.
What you refer to as your sync speed is actually your profiled speed, which is set at BTs end.  this is currently set to 4500Kbps.  If you maintain your current sync speed, then you should see an increase in your profiled speed to 5500Kbps in the next 3 days.
You may also see imptrovements to your sync speed by ensuring that you are connected to your master socket via a filter and by changing this filter.  It may also be beneficial to unscrew the faceplate from your master socket and to insert your filter into the test socket itself.
rikmoncur
Grafter

thanx for your replies.
I don't think I have a master socket. Old house with just a bog standard phone socket.
However, this doesn't explain why the speed has dropped - nothing's changed with my set up.
This evening, my laptop's speed has dropped to around 600 - 700!!!
My desktop is 1900 - 2000.
rikmoncur
Grafter

well...
I had previously tweaked the laptop mtu using drtcp but I've just downloaded tcpoptimizer and now both computers are zipping along at about 4.5mb!
I think I'll leave them at that for the present - until next time the speed inexplicably drops...
thanx for your attention.
In answer to your questions tho... speed tests were right after each other. Both computers connect via wireless Netgear dg8334pn.