cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor interent disconnection and wifi

theropers

poor interent disconnection and wifi

Hello all. I have a hard one for you.
Tried both my plusnet router and a bt hub 2 with same result.
If I connect via lan I get 6-7mb but if we use wifi we get 1-2mb even sat in front of the router. I have scanned and changed channels. Turned off all devices that are connected via wifi. Even turned off cordless phones ect. But whatever we do its still slow.  Our other problem is that the connection just drops for no reason. Sometimes 20-30 seconds sometimes 5 mins. I have even started to look at buying a second line with another provider. If I pick up the phone its crackle free. Can make and receive calls  if any staff members can see when my cabinet will get fiber this mite encourage me to renew my contract next month

Thanking you all.. sorry could not sit in the phone fir another hour.
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: poor interent disconnection and wifi

Hi there,
We've seen a few drops on your connection as per the image below, does this match with the times you see them?

If you're continuing to see issues I'd suggest reporting this to us at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Re: poor interent disconnection and wifi

Are there lots of other wifi networks active nearby..?
Speeds can often be poor if there are lots of other networks operating on the same frequencies or channels as yours.
If so, and if your laptop/phone/tablet etc. supports it, a relatively quick fix might be to buy a router that supports 5Ghz wifi - this band is often much quieter than 2.4Ghz and can help improve performance if you can't get 2.4Ghz to play ball.
We never had much luck with a BT Home Hub 2 for wifi - found it would continually drop the connection and perform pretty badly when connected. Haven't tried the Plusnet router so can't comment.