cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet unlimited (no contract) adsl2+

darksol

plusnet unlimited (no contract) adsl2+

hi i just got a new adsl2 router (tp-link td-w8968) to replace my old belkin one (non adsl2).i cant seem to sync with a download line rate of more than  6653 Kbps tho.i know my local exchange is 21CN enabled (well according to samknows pnet etc).i ran the diagnostic test at speedtest.btwholesale.com and it said i have a 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed for my line.i guess im on adsl max profile still : Sad is there anyway i can change this? thanks
12 REPLIES 12
cedlor
Grafter

Re: plusnet unlimited (no contract) adsl2+

Maximum achievable and what you get can differ greatly.  If your  Exchange is 3km or more away or it is a long way to your cabinet the improvement of switching to adsl2 may not be a good as you hope.
Sometimes reslt is a gain in upload speed but a fall in downloads if there is any sort of noise on the line.
Perhaps changing the adsl settings on your router will help what does it show at the moment.?
Maybe one of the PN team will  pick this up, I am not sure if there is a charge involved in switching
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Can you post all the ADSL stats from your router please? We need all the numbers (speed, attenuation, snr margin) to get an idea if you're already getting about as good as you'll get, or if there is some problem that could be fixed.
The Max Achievable Speed from the BT speedtester, and the upper bound for the acceptable speed range, are not important. The Max Achievable Speed shown by the BT speedtester is determined by your current line speed, and will change if your line speed becomes much lower or higher. That part of the BT speedtester could probably benefit from re-phrasing, you're certainly not the first person to have been given the wrong impression by it.
darksol

thanks for replying yeah im not too far at all from the local exchange i think anyway
the link at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed says:
Estimated line speed: 18Mb (This may vary between 17.5Mb and 19.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-10-13 14:10:18
Current line speed: 5.8 Mb
ive attached some stats from my router (currently plugged directly into the master socket)
edit:router Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 150512 Rel.42337
                  Hardware Version: TD-W8968 V3 0x00000001
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The stats show you should be getting much better speeds, but your speed is being limited (banded) due to some fault, issue with your equipment, or at least there is or was something that has made the automated system think there's a problem.
I don't know if using a device that only supports ADSL1 would have caused the speed to get banded. Did you switch it off and on quite often? Does your broadband tend to disconnect and re-connect on its own several times per day? Is there any crackling, noise or other problems with the telephone?
darksol

ok thats good to know the stats look fine.anyway yeah i got this tp-link router because the old one (belkin F5D7630-4A) kept dropping the connection alot (disconnect and then auto-reconnect) a few times a day sometimes.i also tend to switch the router off overnight (probably not a good idea on hindsight!) so maybe thats caused it to be limited or something.also i have noticed some crackling on the phone sometimes so thats not good either.anyway thanks for your help
edit:when i say crackling/noise on the phone,i think that might have been caused by my old microfilter (fujitsu FDX-100).had been using it for quite a while!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I think the root cause of the broadband disconnecting and limited speed will be the crackling on the phone, which will need to be fixed before the broadband speed can be increased. Testing with only a corded phone directly plugged into the test socket (if your master socket is the type with a test socket), with the router and microfilter unplugged, is the best way to help ensure it's a fault with the line and not your equipment. You can dial 17070 for a quiet line test. If the crackling is still present, you'll have to raise a voice fault with your telephone service provider. As the crackling is only there sometimes, make sure it's logged as an intermittent fault. Someone found it useful recently to record the line noises so that they could replay them when the engineer visited.
Regarding switching the modem/router off overnight: these devices are designed to be left on continuously, and it's generally recommended to leave them always on. You might get away with switching them off overnight if your line was fine, but with some other problem, it could make things appear worse (although your line might be so bad it wouldn't make a difference anyway).
I've just read your edit after writing the above. If you're sure everything is OK now, with new router and new microfilter, you just need Plusnet to remove the banded speed. They might want to see that it has remained connected continuously for a day or two first, so probably best to leave the router on.
darksol

ok thanks for the info i will try that 17070 quiet line test (corded phone directly plugged into the test socket) just to be sure there, but yeah the combination of the old dodgy microfilter and switching the router off every night (will leave it on from now i think) has probably caused this.anyway many thanks for your help much appreciated!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You can do the quiet line test with everything plugged in if you're testing to check there's no noise. It's only if you find that there is noise, and you want to make sure it's not caused by something you've got connected, that you need to unplug everything else for.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line has become banded, as you mention probably due to the noise on the line previously.
The line still isn't looking particularly stable during the daytimes:

Can you confirm there is no noise on the line now and leave the router turned on for us so we can see a period of stability?
I ask as at the moment your Indicative Line Quality is showing as S (Scarlet), which is even worse than RED and is based on the line data over the last 24 hours (IIRC).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
darksol

hi chris ok i will leave the router switched on for at least 24 hours from now no problem.i did a quiet line test yesterday (17070) and there was no crackling or other noise noticed at all .anyway i'll leave the router on now and see if things stabilize.i was switching it on and off abit yesterday anyway thanks for your help!
darksol

plusnet slow speed help

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.78 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps
seems my line is banded  Sad
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
Topics merged to keep details together.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine