Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet pppoe settings for another router running DD-WRT

Reason5
Grafter

plusnet pppoe settings for another router running DD-WRT

Hi guys
Could some one do a quick walk throw (instructions) regard using another router to work with the Openreach fibre modem.
I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router running DD-WRT  and would like to use that one instead of the one provided by Plusnet ..
Cheesy  Thank you  
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: plusnet pppoe settings for another router running DD-WRT

Hi there,
It's not something we can help you with directly I'm afraid but as long as the router is fibre compatible you shouldn't need to stray from the default settings really.
Let us know if there;s anything specific you need to know though.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

From http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
2. Fibre broadband connection settings
You'll need the settings below if you're connecting to our fibre broadband service with your own fibre-compatible router. To connect with a fibre router we've supplied please follow our install guide.
Note: the majority of broadband routers won't work with fibre broadband. Most cable routers will work if they can use PPPoE and have an Ethernet WAN port, however we can't provide support if you have problems.
Connection Settings
Broadband Username/Login name  username@plusdsl.net
Connection Type / Encapsulation  PPPoE Always On
Reason5
Grafter

Hi thanks for the Help and information I have managed to do it all but after testing upload & download speeds there half what they were before guess the 2,4ghz router is not as good as the one you sent
I was just looking to optimized speeds and wires coverage ... So I guess to do this Ill need to get something like the Asus router that has appeared on a few post in the forum .
Question >>> Is it the 5GHz  OR the fact the newer routers run at say 300mps/500 and 750Mbps  I'm thinking it must be this !!  Wink
shure
Grafter

Don't know if you're aware but only the latest hardware will work on 5Ghz, so you need to check that your existing equipment can utilise it before splashing out on a 5Ghz router, otherwise it's a waste.
If you live in a built up area you might find that you are getting interference from neighbours on the same channel.  InSSIDer (free download) is a very effective tool for checking whether that is the case and can help you choose one which is less crowded.
For gaming etc you won't notice much difference between wireless g&b and wireless N.  Faster wireless speeds only really come into effect if you transfer large files within your own network, and if you're lucky enough to have superfast broadband!  As mentioned before, I went back to my old g&b router from the PN supplied N one, and noticed immediate improvements in gaming, despite it being theoretically a slower router.
Having said all that, from posts on here it would appear that the Asus is a well thought of router, so you could do a lot worse Wink
Reason5
Grafter

Think you are right going to stick with what I have got for the time been .... Till I'm absolutely sure the Asus would would improve thing's ... Ill stop tinkering and enjoy my Broadband )
shure
Grafter

OK, but try looking at the channels as a potential quick fix if you're getting interference.  This page should explain.