cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet mail and Apple Mac

sarahr

plusnet mail and Apple Mac

I'm just in the process of setting up a new MAcbookPro and my mail settings don't seem to work - anyone got ideas? do I need to disconnect the mail account from my old laptop first? I've used the @plusdsl.net as the user name and mail.plus.net and relay.plus.net as incoming and outgoing respectively but it's saying it can;t log on to the servers.
tks
8 REPLIES 8
Assos
Grafter

Re: plusnet mail and Apple Mac

you only need to use @plusdsl.net for the router / modem, for email you just need your portal username.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
There's a setup guide for email on a Mac here.
The settings you will need are:
username: username
email address: yourchosenname@username.plus.com
incoming mail server: mail.plus.net
outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net
sarahr

thanks for the replies - I've tried pretty much everything - using the 2 mail servers which I already had, then my plusnet password and using my email address of sarah@rogers64.plus.com it's trying to get to the mail.plus.net then says trying to check my log in and at that point it fails and says it failed.  any thoughts?  I'm going to see if I can connect a hotmail account to the mac mail to make sure it at least works with another account.
thanks
-update!!  my incoming mail is working fine but the outgoing won't connect. previously I was given the alternative of relay1.plus.net - I've tried both but the outgoing just doesn't work. - yet!
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
What sort of error do you get when sending? You are connected  via PlusNet at the moment aren't you? (relay won't let you send unless you're on a PlusNet connection)
sarahr

Hi Mand
Yes the internet connection at home is plusnet via a netgear wireless modem.  up till now I've had my email account set up on a Vaio through Outlook.
The message coming up is saying the connection to the server relay.plus.net on port 587 timed out
sarahr

now when I'm trying to reset the relay.plus.net server it automatically adds (Offline) to it which sems a bit strange
sarahr

we changed settings to relay1 port 25 and it seems to be working.  don't know why, but hopefully it will stick.
Mand
Grafter

Yeah, port 25 should definitely be the port used.
Glad to hear it's now working, give us a shout if you have any further questions. Smiley