cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet estimated line speed

docrobster
Grafter

plusnet estimated line speed

Hi all hope someone can help clear up some confusion for me.
I have had a pretty table connection over the years and have synced at about 5.5 meg at the master socket, 3.5 meg from a downstairs extension. (On the old bbyw option 2 product, adsl1)
Recently I've had a problem with a noisy line which I finally tracked down to a faulty filter and cured on monday night- line is now silent when I ring the BT line test number. My line speed is currently stuck at 250 since the weekend, I'm still within the three day period for retraining the profile.
I was thinking about changing to one of the adsl2+ products, but when I clicked on the link the plusnet line checker tells me I will only get 0.5meg, for all products. Is this because of the current IP profile set by BT and so will it increase if I check it again once that has increased?
I am at work now so can't post router stats but the last time I checked it was something like 36db attenuation and snr margin of 10db, with a sync speed of 5248 (router plugged into master socket currently)
Is it worth switching to ADSL2+  (and how do I know if my exchange is enabled- exchange checker has no info for 21cn)?
Thanks
Rob
20 REPLIES 20
Moominfish
Grafter

Re: plusnet estimated line speed

I think the problem is your Table connection, try it on a chair and see if it works any better  Crazy
Now on a more serious note! Enter your Postcode here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php and it will then come up and tell you your exchange name, click on that and then it will list everything available on your exchange (the section that says BT Wholesale Information, if where it says 21CN WBC status: Not available then you won't be able to get ADSL2+
Hope this helps.
matt_2k34
Grafter

a 5 meg line normally gets quite a good increase over on ADSL2 (Statistically) Smiley -- including the added Upload speed ofc (if you choose to have this uncapped - but you'll lose abit of download speed to compensate)
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Whilst the Sam Knows site is generally reliable, the WBC enablement dates are not always accurate. Try the BT Wholesale Availability checker instead, this at least should be more representative of BT Wholesale's upgrade plans, although it is not unheard of for the dates to be removed or reforecast as the date approaches.
Plusnet Exchange checker is pretty useless  most of the time, it doesn't appear to be kept up to date.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
docrobster
Grafter

ok thanks for that and excuse my typos
do you have a link for the bt wholesale checker for adsl2+?
I can find the BT adsl checker which tells me I can get  0.5meg- I know I can get over 5meg so that's clearly useless as well!
If I go through the sign up pages plus net tells me there is no adsl2+ at my exchange so it looks like I'm staying on bbyw
Moominfish
Grafter

Try this docrobster http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Che... which should also tell you if you can get ADSL2+ because it's simply an ADSL checker so it checks anything to do with ADSL, it's not as good as samknows though in my opinion as it doesn't give anywhere near as much information as the samknows site, you can also try this http://adsl24.co.uk/checker/
matt_2k34
Grafter

so it looks like I'm staying on bbyw

AFAIK, you can be on any package on ADSL1.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that BT Wholesale checker well!!!!!
I have been on a 8128 synch since 16/07/2006  Fully Paid  ADSL Initial Charge  and it tells me I should get 2M
docrobster
Grafter

That was the BT checker I found, but the adsl24 one tells me my exchange will be enabled for adsl2+ in the final quarter of 2010. Thanks
still puzzled about the 0.5 meg prediction for adsl speed.
I realise I can switch to the current adsl1 package- "value" which is very cheap but is also very throttled. I have never really had a problem with the package I am on, just thinking about poss speed upgrades if available
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Use http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ to find your exchange code, then search for that code on this page: http://community.plus.net/21cn-exchange-availability/
Dave T updates that page every month - it was last updated 8th March.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
docrobster
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. The PN 21cn exchange availability site tells me same as adsl24- between sept and november 2010, but I can always check back.
Having looked at other threads I see a new "extra" product will be launched next week at £11.49 (I am in a market 3 exchange) with 60GB usage. What will the throttling traffic management be like on that compared to BBYW option 2. Main priority will be iplayer and youtube as the kids use the wii for this a lot (and spotify), and decent download speed from itunes music store. Any ideas?
matt_2k34
Grafter

Plusnet Extra (replaces Premium)
* Market 1 & 2 £11.49 for 3 months, then £17.99 after
* Market 3 £11.49
* 60GB of usage allowance between 8am – Midnight
* Free usage between Midnight – 8am
* Up to 20Mb (ADSL2+) where available
* Post-pay £5 per 5GB
* Static IP available

Is basically all thats known about it atm... i havent seen any traffic management stuff about it (and we probably wont until its released tbh) But i may be wrong Smiley
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
that BT Wholesale checker well!!!!!
I have been on a 8128 synch since 16/07/2006  Fully Paid  ADSL Initial Charge  and it tells me I should get 2M

I never said it was perfect! ;). I've always assumed that it deliberately underestimated the speed, although more recently it seems to be consistent with my IP profile
Jelv's link to Dave Tomlinson's updated list is just as useful, thanks for that.
Note that if you switch to Value, ADSL2+ isn't included. Seems strange, I thought the costs of providing BB over 21CN was cheaper than over 20CN.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
matt_2k34
Grafter

your getting confused.
You can be on the 21CN network and on a legacy product.
Just your speed will be capped to a maximum of 8meg, move onto one of the adsl2 products - and you get more speed Smiley (AFAIK) Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am a bit unsure about the full implications of that as when I asked the question as to whether a Value customer would be moved to ADSL2+ but with a rate cap or stay on vanilla ADSL the answer at that time was - we haven't decided