Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet capacity

chrcoluk
Grafter

plusnet capacity

simple question.
if plusnet are keeping up with growth and have ample capacity.
is there an explanation as to why my speeds shot up and tbb graph normalised after I hopped gateways last night?
is a worrying trend that complaints are increasing on here lately and plusnet keep blaming exchange VP's.
see what happened when I hopped gateway last night on my graph.
13 REPLIES 13
dragon2611
Grafter

Re: plusnet capacity

Could have taken a different path through BT's 21CN network to reach plusnet's gateway.  Undecided
But without detailed stats on Plusnet's link utilisations (Beyond what they publish) it would be hard to tell if it's them or not that's the problem
Melancholie
Grafter

Being fair to Plusnet I can see complaints about BT Wholesale's network in a few places...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi chrcoluk,
Yes, we perform bandwidth flexes on a monthly basis and sometimes more frequent than that: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1391518086.htm
The next one is due tomorrow.
I'm not sure we'd be able to find out exactly what happened when you swapped gateways there but do shout up if you see that happen again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

@ chrcoluk
Plusnet have always been very fair and transparent with regards to their network. When they've had a problem, they have put their hands up. I very much doubt there are any capacity problems within Plusnet's network.
You might find that by changing gateways, you take a different route through BT's 21CN network which could account for the increased latency.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
Being fair to Plusnet I can see complaints about BT Wholesale's network in a few places...

do you have these links so I can compare? dont think I have seen another BTw based isp with graphs like that.
AndyH
Grafter

Are you not trialling IPv6?
chrcoluk
Grafter

I am but I am talking about ipv4 performance, be aware other plusnet customers were complaining the same night on other sites.  A lot of plusnet graphs looked a mess.
by the way did you read the ipv6 n66 thread? I replied with a firmware update but you seem not interested in that now?
AndyH
Grafter

No I am interested - I was going to update that this evening when I get around to it. I gather there should be another Asus update this week.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Because you disconnected, we can't see which part of BTs network you were connected to.  Your route to each of the BT datacentres could have different characteristics which affect your throughout and latency.
I'll be having a look through the graphing today to see if we had any pinch points on our side, but being as we flexed last week, there really shouldn't be any.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Because you disconnected, we can't see which part of BTs network you were connected to.  Your route to each of the BT datacentres could have different characteristics which affect your throughout and latency.
I'll be having a look through the graphing today to see if we had any pinch points on our side, but being as we flexed last week, there really shouldn't be any.

Ok I can tell you I was on ag01.
then I hopped to ag05 which was better but still under peforming.
ended up on ag03 which is where I should be now.
so I hopped twice.
disconnections saturday were for a firmware change on my router.  But by luck I ended up back on ag03 thankfully.
AndyH
Grafter

What Kelly is saying is it's the route to the gateways your traffic takes (i.e. through BT's 21CN network) rather than the actual gateways being the most probable cause for the latency increase.
I found this a few weeks ago - hopped gateways and was 2-3ms higher. Hopped again and back to normal.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
What Kelly is saying is it's the route to the gateways your traffic takes (i.e. through BT's 21CN network) rather than the actual gateways being the most probable cause for the latency increase.
I found this a few weeks ago - hopped gateways and was 2-3ms higher. Hopped again and back to normal.

He is saying he couldnt look into it as he didnt know where I was connected, yes he cannot check the BTw side as I have hopped, but I still gave him the plusnet gateway's so he can check those.
Given all the posts on here lately if BTw has actually started to let their own network goto pot I would hope plusnet arent sitting back and accepting it.  But thats a big if because I havent been convinced either way.
If I see the same problem again I wont hop (unless its really bad affecting my activity) and then ask kelly to check the route I am on.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Need to check at the point you are connected.  If the gateway checker says you are on PTW-AG01, there are still 3 different BT nodes each with different BTW routes to them, and 12 different fibres into that gateway.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager