Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pingtest.net

Grff
Grafter

pingtest.net

Anyone used pingtest.net?

My Work's connection
As it looks to be related to speedtest.net, I suspect people will say it's unreliable, but I woundered what people thought of it.
I tried it at home, and it hung my browser, but then again I was using a java that was a year old.  I think i'll try it at home later and see how it goes.
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but as it's related to broadband speed, thought i'd put it here.  Mods feel free to move it if it's not appropriate.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: pingtest.net

does this answer you http://www.killerstartups.com/Web-App-Tools/pingtest-net-testing-out-your-internet-connection
The best thing about this service is that once you have your results you will be able to share and compare them with other people around the globe. Will that put an end to the complaints of people? I don’t think so. But it is bound to put everything in perspective, at least partially.
Also, note that PingTest is actually the sister site of Speedtest.net. If you found this one interesting and want to see the full picture, checking it out might just as well be the next thing to do.
Read more: http://www.killerstartups.com/Web-App-Tools/pingtest-net-testing-out-your-internet-connection#ixzz0T...

My bold
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

[me=jelv]Groans[/me]
I suppose were going to see posts on here from people complaining about slower pings when it's actually nothing to worry about.

• One of the three UK servers gave me significantly different results - hardly lends any credibility to the results!

• No mention of the affect of interleaving

• No mention that basic physics plays a part, so someone a long way from their ISP's gateways (e.g. in Scotland or Northern Ireland) can never have the same pings as someone living close (i.e the south east in Plusnet's case)

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Grff
Grafter

Even if it's not accurate;
If 10 tests roughly give the same results;
then you do another test at a later date giving a way different result. Surely that's possibly indicative of a issue.
e.g.
If all my results come out pretty much like this, to the same server;

then i try one next week and it gives me 200ms to the same server, or packet loss, am I to think ah it's fine, or would I be right to suspect a potential issue at the time of the test.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi,
    I came across this few weeks back,i certainly wont be relying on this lil test to give me accurate results,anywho is it still not in beta stage?
That last result you have there is what i get mostly and im up in scotland Crazy
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Here's hope-ping that the flip-ping ping test doesn't play ping pong with the war-ping speed for too many gamers, stop-ping hop-ping aliens!
Innit!  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yer m8
Grff
Grafter

Quote from: steve74
Hi,
    I came across this few weeks back,i certainly wont be relying on this lil test to give me accurate results,anywho is it still not in beta stage?
That last result you have there is what i get mostly and im up in scotland Crazy

That's low for what I typically see.  This is closer to what I normally get when doing speedtests. Usually around 70ms 'ish.
scootie
Grafter

first go and it failed to measure packet loss

from looking at wireshark the packetloss part of the test appers to have the packets sent back to me by the server but the java script of the test choices not to use them
i will give the test better acrucey on ping than the speedtest.net one thoe as ive found that one to have double the ping what i get by using cmd to ping the same server yet this one is more or less spot on
Ping statistics for 213.229.66.233:
    Packets: Sent = 22, Received = 22, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 18ms
scootie
Grafter

k well i tried dmz'ing my pc's ip address, switching off firewall, checked java top to bottom blah blah blah and still the test would not complete.
tried a complete reboot of my dg834g v4 as it hasnt had one in months and wo and behold it works  Huh

EDIT. replyed to there feedback link inbetween it not working and working for me and just got a reply pretty impressed that they replyed so soon.
sent
Comments: Beta questions we would very much appreciate answers to:>>
1) Would you recommend Pingtest.net to a friend? maybe in future if it gives better stable ping results than speedtest.net>>
2) How can we improve this site?> packetloss test fails every time for me. ive fully dmz'ed my pc's ip ect ect to make sure nothing is getting in the way and yet the packet test fails to complete THIS IS NOT 100% PACKET LOSS THE TEST JUST DOES NOT WORK. ping an jitter perfect

It is possible this is due to your system not having Java installed. Please confirm you have the required install: http://www.pingtest.net/help.php#q6 Alternatively, if you have a hardware or software firewall blocking UDP traffic over port 5060, this would also cause the test to fail. The latency test is quite different on Pingtest.net vs Speedtest.net. What you are seeing is not a discrepancy, but rather a difference in technology. Speedtest.net: All tests are fully handled using TCP over HTTP. For Latency: This test is performed by measuring the time it takes to get a response for an HTTP request sent to the web server. It is done 10 times with the average value determining the final result. Pingtest.net: Utilizes direct socket connections over TCP for all of the tests besides packetloss, which uses UDP via Java. For Latency: These tests are done by measuring the round trip time for TCP packets sent to the server. The average of 10 samples determines the result. The variance for all of the samples determines jitter. Best Regards,  ********* @ Pingtest.net
James
Grafter

It doesn't work from the office Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've got the latest Java, I tried totally disabling my firewall and the packet loss test doesn't work for me either.
scootie
Grafter

i tried everything jelv an i mean everything to work out why it wasnt working for me and as  what i thought was a no hoper i tried a complete reboot of router and wham it worked.  Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I tried that as well! Sad
scootie
Grafter

they must be blocking you jelv due to how much you slate there site  Grin i was same with speedtest.net but iam warming to the pingtest.net just wait an see how it goes when the servers get put under alittle more load as they dont even come back on the first page of google when you serach pingtest.net
well the pings look more stable and a wee more reliable than the speedtest.net ones all tests done back to back
PING,JITTER,PACKET_LOSS,SERVER_NAME,GRADE,MOS,DISTANCE_MILES
"19","1","N/A","Milton Keynes","N/A","N/A","50"
"19","0","N/A","Milton Keynes","A","4.39","50"
"19","1","N/A","Milton Keynes","A","4.39","50"
"20","1","N/A","Maidenhead","A","4.39","50"
"29","1","N/A","Coventry","A","4.39","100"
"30","2","N/A","Coventry","A","4.39","100"
"30","1","N/A","Coventry","A","4.39","100"