cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

physical/logical connection from home to internet

birinji
Dabbler

physical/logical connection from home to internet

OK so as to get this correct in my mind: I have fibre to the box and a fixed ip address!
Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
I’m sitting at a workstation that is connected directly to the techicolor router.
That router is plugged into the BT modem. The BT modem plugs into the master phone socket.
The signal travels via copper to the box at the end of the road where the broadband is stripped out and multiplexed onto an optical fibre back to the exchange.
At the exchange there is another de-multiplexer/modem which returns the signal to Internet Protocol.
BT routes that to the plusnet equipment nearby in the exchange where my public(fixed IP) is associated and the signal wanders off on the internet!
Thus if I ping my pubic IP address one would expect short and reliable response?
Am I correct with this assumption?
A simplistic view would be Work Station to local router to local modem to remote modem to remote router i.e. my public IP.
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: physical/logical connection from home to internet

If you have a fixed IP address, that internet IP address is assigned to your router.  So if you ping that IP address from elsewhere on the internet it is ultimately down to your router to respond.
Or have I completely misunderstood the question? 
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There is no Plusnet equipment in the exchanges. From your modem all your data is tunnelled through BT equipment to the Plusnet gateways in London.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The Plusnet Technicolor router is configured to not respond to ping from WAN.
Don't know if the stops the router responding to pings from LAN to it's external IP, but I would guess is does.
I believe there's a setting in the GUI to enable reply to ping, if not you can enable this via telnet.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#ping
Note: If you're pinging your external IP from your home network then the path is router lan facing > loopback adapter >routers internet facing.
The routers loopback adaptor is enabled by default.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63