cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone and broadband down- nobody seems to care..

knowhowe

phone and broadband down- nobody seems to care..

Hi all,
This forum has been recommended by a poster on thinkbroadband.com and this is my first post. I'm hoping for advice- especially from someone in the know at PlusNet!
Our home phone and broadband went down yesterday afternoon and remains down at lunchtime today. I called PlusNet (who we buy internet and phone from)  last night who told me they'd do some tests and get back to me. They didn't. I rang them again this morning and was told the tests had shown the fault was "outside the premises" (which I already knew), and the fault had been reported to BT Openreach. They helpfully gave me their number plus the fault report reference number, comprising 15 letters and numbers.
When I got through to Openreach, I was told that 1. the reference number was "of the wrong sort" and 2. no such fault had been reported. Also that I needed to talk to Plusnet about it.
This I promptly did. They expressed surprise at BT's response to the reference number and insisted that BT knew all about it. I rang BT again, to be told I was in touch with the "wrong team" (no mention of that the previous time) and that there was nothing they could do.
So where on earth do I turn now? I find nothing more infuriating than this game of being shuffled between parties, each denying responsibility. But I must say that I've been with PlusNet for donkey's years and have found them excellent. I'm sure the problem lies elsewhere...
Meanwhile, we're cut off from phone and internet (I'm posting this from work). Teenagers trying to study for crucial exams, teacher wife trying to do reports etc before Xmas hols... nightmare. Please advise!!
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: phone and broadband down- nobody seems to care..

Hi,
Your fault *is* with Openreach.  Their reference is 5-5-25281340587.
We have been given an estimated response time of 23:59 tomorrow, so it is likely that there will be some movement by then.
Because your fault is within SLA (response time by end of next working day plus one) I am afraid that there is nothing that we can do to expedite the repair of your phone service, but I sincerely hope it gets fixed in the next 24 hours or so.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think what 'knowhowe' wants to confirm is that fault is being taken care of.  Presumably there was no need for him/her to try to contact OpenReach?  It is very frustrating when your telephone line is out or order.  Can he/she get his/her incoming calls redirected to a mobile as you can with BT?
James
Grafter

Yes they can if requested.
To be honest, Openreach should not be discussing this case with any of our customers - the relationship should be with us.
The information I gave above seemed to have been confirmed over the phone.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: knowhowe
Our home phone and broadband went down yesterday afternoon and remains down at lunchtime today. I called PlusNet (who we buy internet and phone from)  last night who told me they'd do some tests and get back to me. They didn't.

It strikes me that if a call back had been made the OPs immediate concerns might have been eased.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I think there was was some confusion, but it looks like we could have explained a little clearer on what was happening.
I've also picked up your notes from your thinkbroadband post.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
To be honest, Openreach should not be discussing this case with any of our customers - the relationship should be with us.

Well we all know that, but it seems it was Plusnet Support who directed him to Openreach. "I rang them again this morning and was told the tests had shown the fault was "outside the premises" (which I already knew), and the fault had been reported to BT Openreach. They helpfully gave me their number plus the fault report reference number, comprising 15 letters and numbers."
Time for some re-education somewhere?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's where there seems to be the confusion, I've passed the information back to my colleagues who knowhowe spoke with to clarify this with them.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi knowhowe,
Is your phoneline working? We've been advised that the fault has been cleared.