cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pcl-ag05 - Slightly higher pings

AndyH
Grafter

pcl-ag05 - Slightly higher pings

Just to make PN aware, pcl-ag05 has slightly higher pings (see period 9:50 - 19:15 when I was on pcl-ag05 compared to before/after):

bbc.co.uk pings were 4-5ms higher than normal (average is 5ms for me).
Jumped gateways to ptn-ag02 and all back to normal now.
Edit: I should add that I am being very fussy and pedantic  Embarrassed . This did not affect me, I just wanted to raise it to PN in case something is not working on that gateway like it should.
4 REPLIES 4
jimbof
Grafter

Re: pcl-ag05 - Slightly higher pings

This is quite common and has been ever since I joined 7 or 8 months ago...  It isn't always the same gateway but fairly often after a disconnect you'll end up on a gateway that seems 2-3ms slower.
It bugged me enough while I was running OpenWRT that I built a script to test the connection (by pinging thinkbroadband's pingbox) and dropping it if it was a "slower" connection.
Apparently the gateways aren't an individual machine - they point to several endpoints - so not all connecions to the same "gateway" will experience the same speed.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

You could have jumped from PCL to PTW or PTN.  They are all different suites.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also your routing over the BT network before it gets to the Plusnet gateway may have changed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
deathtrap
Grafter

For me it appears to give around 300kbps less throughput than some other gateways, but the ping time is +1ms compared to the lowest I've seen for my connection