cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

painfully slow internet

axlstod
Grafter

painfully slow internet

hi over the past couple of days i have noticed my connection keeps dropping to speeds as low as 235kbps upload speed is 350kbps which as you can see is faster than my download speed.
ive tried plugging into different sockets and have also ran the plusnet fault checker.
currently when i click on here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed it saysthat my current line speed is 250.
whats going on?by connection is the gaming package and i cant play on-line with these speeds.
any help would be appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: painfully slow internet

What does the BT Speedtester give you?  Particularly the IP Profile.  There is a problem with either your equipment or your line that is causing you to sync at a low rate with the exchange.  This is what is causing your slow speeds.  Has anything changed since you started to see slower speeds, such as your central heating or christmas tree lights anywhere close?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

This may also be of help.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

axlstod
Grafter

no new equipment,havent got round to putting up the xmas decorations,only thing electrical ive got recently is a couple of e-on powerdowns but my modem isnt plugged into it,
also ive got 2 d-link modems and ive tried both,will try different filters.

this is the results of the btspeedtester
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 225 kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.
Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.
James
Grafter

I'll sort this Smiley
Sounds like your IP Profile has recently gone up but our systems haven't caught up yet.
Try a reboot in about 5 minutes and it should be much better.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Hmm, it looks like Plusnet need to kick your Profile on their side.  It should follow the IP Profile as seen on the BT Speedtester, and should update a couple of times a day, when Plusnet receive a delta report from BT.
Phil

axlstod
Grafter

seems fine now.
thankyou.
axlstod
Grafter

hi again seems im having the same problem again,when i go to this site it says my current line speed is 500?? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed.
when i use this speed tester http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ ; it says my speed is 481kbps hope this can be sorted has its no good for online gaming.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you run the BT Speedtester http://speedtester.bt.com/
If it also says you have an IPprofile of 500kbps you have a major problem with your wiring or connection.
Assuming it does the first thing to check is if you have anything connected to the telephone wiring which isn't filtered such as a Sky Box or a monitored alarm system.
If you have non of these then you will need to connect to the test socket as this picture and see if the drops in speed continue.
If, however, the BT Speedtester says your IPprofile is 7150kbps you should raise a ticket asking for the last few automated BT reports of IPprofile with dates and values
axlstod
Grafter

got this from bt speed tester

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
   Your DSL connection rate: 6656 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
   IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
   Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 375 kbps

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

this test was done through the test socket and i havent changed anything with my system ever.
ive had similar problems to this before and Jameseh  normally does something although i havent a clue what.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

OK - that means it isn't a problem due to the Plusnet systems
A few questions
Have you been connected to the test socket continuously for the last few days or did you just connect to it.
If you have been connected to the test socket and the profile droped it is either a duff filter or a line fault.
If, however, you were connected to your normal sockets the odds are it is an internal wiring fault or something isn't filtered.
Can you keep using the test socket for a while and see if the problem goes away.
Note - when James fixed it he gave the Plusnet system a kick to update it to the latest IPprofile - as that is still very low that won't help this time. It does however indicate that you are getting frequent or occasional massive drops in sync speed and this is what needs to be sorted out.
axlstod
Grafter

to be honest ive been connected to the test socket since last december.
i havent changed my system but i do have work men in the house at the minute and lots of dust,ive had a fault ever since i came to plusnet where i would lose connection occasionally,mostly when the phone rings,and even worse since i got a dect phone in may.the only way i ge
it back my connection is by resetting my modem.
i have run routerstatslite so i have seen first hand that my line drops when using the phone.
hope this info helps.
axlstod
Grafter

tried disconnecting everything and only having the modem/router connected with a test of different filters and my spare router but ive had no joy.looks like im buggered.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If your line drops when using the phone you need to raise a fault as it is either a line or card fault
Before doing that does the quiet line test 17070 option 2 have any noise with and without the router connected
axlstod
Grafter

how do i do this test?thanks.