cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

over estimated speeds !!!!

stewbett
Grafter

over estimated speeds !!!!

having had my new fibre broadband installed I have to say I am totally disappointed, the speed advertised both from the plusnet website and over the phone is nowhere near what was I was expecting. having been told I would get up to 76 meg now to find im lucky if I can get even half that. Very let down I understand you will not really get the top end of the estimated speed but to not even get half the advertised speed is shocking.  Angry how can the estimate be so far out?  why is this allowed to happen with so much media attention over isp advertising inflated speeds?

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
29.73 Mbps

0 Mbps 38.72 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 29.73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  12 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
1.79 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.79Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
19 REPLIES 19
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: over estimated speeds !!!!

My line went live yesterday and i have similar speeds. On signing up the PN website checked and told me that I would get about 28Mb down and 5Mb up. I'm currently getting about 35 down and between 6 to 11.5 up. Although the packages say upto it is an up to and the sign up process, certainly for me, showed me the BT guestimate for my line before I clicked ok.  If you signed up on the phone then it may be that you didn't get the guestimate though.
Podman
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I could be wrong here but I think the 2Mb/s Upstream profile is a big clue that you may have been provisioned on the wrong product profile.
Are you on Essentials or Unlimited Fibre?  The lower cost 'Essentials' product has a maximum download speed of 40Mb/s (Sync) so a maximum download around 38, 'Unlimited' allows the full FTTC maximum speed of 80Mb/s (sync) allowing up to around 76Mb/s throughput - if you're close enough to the cabinet.
Essentials should have an Upstream profile of 10Mb/s, Unlimited has an Upstream profile of 20Mb/s - there was an old version of FTTC with 40Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up and your figures look exactly like that.
It may well be worth a call to customer service to check what profile you've been provisioned on.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
stewbett
Grafter

i signed up for unlimited,  hopefully an admin might spot this then failing that it will be a call to plusnet in the morning. when bt never showed up on the install date I contacted plusnet and the order never went through as the said they had a system crash, they then placed the order over the phone so could be a chance they put it on essentials and not unlimited.
w23
Pro

Even if you were on Essentials something looks wrong because of the 2Mb/s Upstream profile.
Unlimited is 80/20, Essentials is 40/10 but 40/2 is a legacy profile (at least from Plusnet - may still be in use within the BT systems though).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi stewbett,
I've taken a look over your account and can see that you've been provisioned on the 40/2 product. I've placed a modify order to move you to the 80/20 product which will complete tomorrow and we'll then hopefully see an improvement.
Let me know how you get on.
stewbett
Grafter

That's great will update tomorrow thanks W23 \ chrispurvey
stewbett
Grafter

tested over the weekend as can be seen the upload speed has improved however the download speed is still not even half what it should be.
stewbett
Grafter

ip profile now showing as 77 mbps but still not getting anywhere near it

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
36.44 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 36.44 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
14.87 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.87Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
thomasjc1
Grafter

is that wireless or wired test
stewbett
Grafter

its wired
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We'll test your line and update your fault ticket ASAP.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you log into the router, disconnect and reconnect and try again? Hopefully you'll see a decent increase in your speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stewbett
Grafter

All is now well many thanks  Cheesy

30FTTC06
Pro

WoW Impressive! can you fix mine that easy please plusnet ?