Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ovale's speed problems

ovale
Dabbler

ovale's speed problems

You may not be alone
I am in Dorset, and the same problem has afflicted me this week.
Years of excellent sppeds from plusnet, and now less than 50%.
I have raised the matter with plusnet, no response as yet.
I have tried three separate computers (including different versions of Mac OS X) and even three different modems !, all yield the same drop of 50%.
15 REPLIES 15
ovale
Dabbler

Re: ovale's speed problems

I too have had my speeds tank over the past week.  I am in Dorset
I have raised a ticket, but there has been no action on it today.
ovale
Dabbler

so do we have to complain on the forums to get any action on tickets ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Posts split off to there own thread
ovale
Dabbler

I am grateful to Oldjim for giving me my own thread.
It would appear that I am not the only one who has had speeds plummet over the last week, but we must have separate threads so as not to confuse plusnet staff.
I have been with plusnet for several years, and really haven't had a problem.
I have raised the odd question, and had it answered within hours.
I have Plusnet Premium.  I had a dedicated clean line installed over ten years ago to my house, it has consistently yielded vastly superior line speeds compared to the other original line. A luxury here in the countryside of Dorset.
I have been used to 6-7 MB without problems.  However, last week the speed plummeted to 2 MB at best.  I realise that for most people in the countryside 2MB would be heaven!.

I rechecked my computer software (Mac OS X, 10.5.8 and 10.6.4) on the various computers which use the line either by ethernet or wireless.  I changed the router.  Switched over to my other line (provided by O2, and working well) and it is functioning well using the same computers.
I had rebooted the router(s).  I used the online faults reporting, three times after filling in all the information, the screen came up that the fault reporter was unable to submit the results, try again later.  I raised a ticket.  No reply.  So I resorted to the telephone to phone the help line. 
First I was told that I should not have rebooted the router as this action has interfered with results.  Second I was told that the online fault reporter had recorded all of my input, and the must be a problem with the fault reporter software. stand by and wait
A reply yesterday to my question,
"[internal]
Passed to intermittent faults pool having checked radius logs
Kind regards,
Joanne Pilson"
no advice given as to what action I should take.  Should I leave the router on, dare I reboot it to see if there is any change ? I dont see how a consistently reduced speed can be termed intermittent, but the intermittent faults pool may cover this. It would be nice to be informed what the radius logs showed, you know some of us just might understand them.
there has been no increase in noise on my line, BT have not changed the IP profile of my line, there are no extensions on the line, just the adsl BT wall box with ethernet plugged in direct.
It seems that you have to post in the forums to attract attention. 
I just want advice as to whether to reboot, do nothing, leave everything on, you see the one order from the online fault detector is to drop all firewalls thereby leaving one open to access, and to disable all virus protection.
Just how long am I to remain naked ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is your other line LLU - if so you just might be suffering from exchange congestion
What does this say http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
ovale
Dabbler

no both lines are BT.
no exchange congestion (verwood). was due to be 21CN by March 2010, but hasn't and no further information.
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Can you please have a look at this page? http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/07/02/broadband-speed-faults-how-to-diagnose/
It is very useful and the tests it suggests can help to pinpoint the fault.
ovale
Dabbler

I am grateful to dratdestroyer for his advice.
the page referred to has been read and actioned several times, and I have informed plusnet of the results
zubel
Community Veteran

If Joanne has passed it over to the Intermittent faults team, I suspect there is an intermittent fault, that has caused your IP profile to be reduced.
Can you post your router stats?  (sync, attenuation, snr margin)
Can you then plug the router into the BT Test socket, and repost your router stats?
Cheers
B.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ovale,
I'm sorry if you missed my post yesterday morning
@ovale,
There are a number of dropped connections on your line, so I have forwarded your ticket to the intermittent faults dept. If there was an interruption on your line during a speed test this would severely affect your results.
from http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,86889.0.html
Just to clarify; a ticket reference with the heading [INTERNAL] is only an internal note to explain my action, this is not meant as a reply. Any action taken on a customer's ticket is candid and this is maybe why you assumed this to be a reply. I will endeavour to set the ball rolling for you and see if we can come up with any idea as to the cause of your issue.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI ovale,
I've run some line tests and escalated the fault to BT for further tests. we'll keep you informed if there are any updates.
Jojo Smiley
ovale
Dabbler

well well
to Barry Zubel, I have a dual BT fitted adsl terminal on this line, it is an offence to remove and tinker with it, ie it isn't one where you can plug into a test socket, but thanks for thinking.
I have arrived home, at 1745, and guess what, speeds back to normal, 6MB again.
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/35616791.png
so  I am grateful to all for advice, it seems clear that I did do all the checks at my end correctly, and my instincts were correct.
I would now like to know what BT did to restore my service following the intervention by Joanne Pilson, and why did it reduce, this may help others with the same problem
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ovale,
I've just checked BT's fault notes to see what happened, and after raising it, it seems that their automated tests have cleared it. I don't know how this will be of use to anyone else, but it's nice to know it helped you.
Jojo Smiley
ovale
Dabbler

thanks you for your assistance. 
the deep dark mysterious BT are keeping their secrets