Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outlook express with xp

craig_p
Grafter

outlook express with xp

hi
i am having a spot or bother using O E for my e mail.  If i try to sent from my plusnet address to another plusnet address  it puts up an error.  If i send it to another account such as Hotmail or AOL, it works fine.  Any ideas? im STUCK
Thanks
craig p Angry
11 REPLIES 11
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: outlook express with xp

The full error message would help us diagnose the problem.
Are you sure the destination email address is correct i.e. you are using @username.plus.com and not .net?
craig_p
Grafter

hi
yes the address is correct and i will paste the error when i get back to my own pc.
thanks
craig_p
Grafter

ive now got some more informatoni on this error. Server responce:'550 relay not permitted' Port25, secure(ssl):no, ServerError550,Error number:0x800CCC79
I still dont know what this all means,
any help would be most welcome
thanks
P
paulh
Rising Star

For some unknown reason I'vegot a message that I'm watching this thread .. oh well might as well chip in ...
Could you post the server details on OE for that mail account?
The chances are there's something a bit dodge in there ... mine says "POP Server mail.plus.net" "SMTP Server relay.plus.net"
I suspect your SMTP server is setup wrong?
paul
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I presume you have relay.plus.net in the outgoing mail (SMTP) box in mail account set-up.
Agh...Paul got in before me Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
craig_p
Grafter

Hi
ive already re set my email account settings for that email.  im totaly stumped.  I
pierre_pierre
Grafter

As a novice, are you sure he is using smpt, surely he as a novice should be using POP3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Pierre It's a send email problem he's having and everyone sends with SMTP.
OP Have you raised a ticket?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
craig_p
Grafter

thanks for that.  ill try that but ive also found a poss error in advance settings on that acount in server port numbers.  ill look into that tomorrow and report back.  if i dont have any joy i will raise a ticket on it this week
paulby
Grafter

@craig p
Firstly, as others have said, check that, if you're connected via a PlusNet line, that you're using relay.plus.net as the outgoing erver.
If you have it may be that you have the box ticked to use a secure connection.
Try the following and see if you still get an error:
Open OE and click Tools
Then click on Accounts
Then click on your PlusNet account and click Properties
Then click on the Advanced tab
On this screen remove the tick, if present, from the boxes "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" for both Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail.
Remember that if you're connecting through another provider, you'll need to use their outgoing server or add your user name and password to PlusNet's outgoing server (relay.plus.net).
To add your user name and password:
Open OE and click Tools
Then click on Accounts
Then click on your PlusNet account and click Properties
Then click on the Servers tab
Under outgoing mail server tick "My server Requires Authentication" then click settings.
On the next screen tick the "log in using" box and enter your PlusNet username and password (the same as for the member centre login) and tick the "remember password" box.
Click OK
Remember - don't tick any boxes that say "Log In Using Secure Password Authentication".
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Whoops