cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options after not getting the estimated speed, only 1.7mpbs showing on the hub

platium
Dabbler

options after not getting the estimated speed, only 1.7mpbs showing on the hub

I switched to Plusnet for ADSL broadband and phone last September. Before the switch, Plusnet told me my estimated line speed would be 5mbps, which is close to what I got when I was with TT for the past 5 years.  After the switch, the broadband speed was initially ok, getting somewhere between 4 and 5mbps. One month later, it started giving quite a lot of problems, including line drops and slow speed. By December it was getting worse, so I contact the tech support. They sent an engineer to install a new phone line from outside my window into the house and also install a new master socket. The engineer said I should be able to get over 5mpbs after that.  However I got no improvement at all.  So in January a second engineer was sent to clear the line fault. The engineer fixed something on the extension box outside the building, he said all faults have been cleared.  However, I am still getting a connection below 2 mpbs. I can barely used any streaming service. The tech support said no fault on my phone line. This could be the best I can get.  I do not understand as I had been having 5mpbs speed for many years before the switch.  The support said my option to improve the speed is to get fiber broadband, which means I need to start a new contract with plusenet.  I feel I have been let down by the broadband service from plusnet.  I do not want to start a new contract. What other options do I have? Am I stuck with the low speed until the end of my contract?  I have already paid a year line rental in advance.
23 REPLIES 23
cedlor
Grafter

Re: options after not getting the estimated speed, only 1.7mpbs showing on the hub

I think to get a full picture there  is more info in a previous post :http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=146952.msg1293709#msg1293709
What router are you using now? and do you keep it switched on all the time?
Can you post stats from the router.
In the previuos post you say a new socket was fitted and later you say you connect up using a filter?
It could be that that the new socket does not need a filter for the router so if you are using one can you describe the socket or post a picture of it.
dick:green Link made clickable.
platium
Dabbler

Re: options after not getting the estimated speed, only 1.7mpbs showing on the hub

Thanks very much for the quick reply.  I have tried different routers including the one from plusnet 2704n and the one from talktalk dsl-3780, they do not make any difference on the speed. I am only using the dsl-3780 at the moment as it gives more control over DHCP settings.  I will post the information from the hub when I get home.  Before the engineer changed the phone socket, I have microfilter on it, and I changed it a couple of times to make  sure it is not a filter problem.  The engineer installed a new master socket with a new type of faceplate, which does not need a microfilter.  I also tried remove the faceplate, then connect the router to the test socket via a microfilter. None of these show any improvement on the speed. 
platium
Dabbler

Follow the link on your signature, I can get the following information
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
1.7 Mb
platium
Dabbler

***Here is the stat from my dsl-3780 router
System uptime:
5d:6h:55m:2s
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime:
0d:19h:13m:10s
Interleaving:
On
ADSL mode:
ADSL2
ADSL setting:
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Up: 1025
Down: 1891
Line attenuation (dB):
Up: 27.4
Down: 41.5
SN margin (dB):
Up: 6.1
Down: 6.1
Total errors seconds:
here is the test result from mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Latency 25 ms
Jitter 1 ms
download speed 1.64 mbps
upload speed 0.89 mbps

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Okay
Line attenuation (dB):
Up: 27.4
Down: 41.5

You should be getting >6 Mbps
Try your other router and post the stats from that please, the speed will not increase immediately but the stats and synch speeds might.
Ian
platium
Dabbler

Thank you for your help.  I changed the router to the one from Plusnet 2704N. It shows the stats like

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7151031B006969
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:07:46
7 - Data rate: 1013/1785
8 - Maximum data rate: 1016/1972
9 - Noise margin: 6.4/6.1
10 - Line attenuation: 27.4/46.5
12 - Data sent/received: 73.2K/288.2K
platium
Dabbler

I also tried my old Netgear DG834G v3 router, it shows
Port         Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 3722 3702 0               934     3970       00:07:28
ADSL Link            Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed 1750 kbps 952 kbps
Line Attenuation       42 db      13.5 db
Noise Margin       6 db          6 db

It seems to me not a route problem.
ian007jen
Rising Star

Beyond me i'm afraid  Sad
cedlor
Grafter

Which exchange are you on?
Prior to swapping the routers around do you leave them on all the time?
If you have the DG834 V3 on at the moment does it say somewhere what service you are using  ADSL  ADSL2  ADSL2+  etc
Do you think you can run RouterStats program - it produces data and graphs that monitor your line.
See here    http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm ;     The setup for the DG834G v3 is simple as it is set up already for that router.
May give us a clue to what is wrong.
When your Broadband fault ticket was open - (is it still)  what did Plusnet come back and say after the  Engineer had been.
Fibre should not be the only solution.
platium
Dabbler

My exchange Information
Exchange name: Kingsmead
Exchange code: SSKMD
Postcode: BA12AL
Maps: Our map | Multimap | Streetmap
Serves (approx): 31,497 residential premises
2,449 non-residential premises.
I have tried to keep the router on all the time except when I attempted to improve the speed by rebooting occasionally.  When I use the dsl-3780, it shows the router is on ADSL2 mode. However  when I use the DG834 V3, I could not find any information about which adsl mode it is.  I installed the RouterStats programm, and set it up to monitor the status of the router (DG834V3).  For the past a few hours, it has been very stable. The sync speed is at 1760kbps, the Rx Noise 6db.  There are other parameters I do not understand. If you need me to upload any graphs, please let me know. Thanks
I still have the broadband fault ticket open, but nobody answers it. I guess they do not know what to do. They want me to contact custom service to order fibre.
cedlor
Grafter

Ok this page shows what is available from your exchange
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SSKMD
On the stats given you should be able to get ADSL2+ as 21CN is available. 
You should get a speed of 6-8Mbps.with your attenuation
Maybe ask on your ticket  if you are on 21CN and  adsl2+ and if not is there a reason.
Sometimes if the condition of the line is bad they revert back to adsl2 or even adsl, but in that
case I would expect to see a higher SNRM than 6dB
Do your stats  (from the router  - not RouterStats-) have an entry that is similar to this  Cant just remember how to get to it
I will try and set up my old router tomorrow if I have time.
xDSL Standard:                      ITU-T G.992.5
xDSL Annex:                          Annex A
This post has a full print of the info from the DG834g  (( On second thoughts that may be from RouterStats ))
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138230.msg1280415.html#msg1280415
What does yours say?
Just out of interest is there much difference between the price you pay now and the cheapest Fibre deal you can find
from any  supplier shown in the list on the samknows page. You can use the lowest fig you can find to bargain with PN
if their offering is not as good.
platium
Dabbler

Thank you for the analysis and information.  According to the tech analysis posted on my ticket by support, my line should be on the ADSL2+ 
KBD
KBD BRAS adsl8000
Profile Info WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
NF17 - No performance issues have been identified in the BTW network. KBD tests indicate no BTW network fault. Please perform all CP and End User checks.
xDSL Status Circuit In Sync
NTE PowerOn
                    Upstream Downstream
Loop loss 27.3 42.3
SNR Margin   6.0 6.0
Errored Seconds 1 0
Cell Count 6034368 30450885
Speed         1044 1838
Maximum Stable Rate 4544
Fault Threshold Rate 3635
MTBR 7510 ILQ R
MTBE (Downstream) 101 MTBE (Upstream) 495
CLT Response
CIDT LINE TEST OK - END USER EQUIPMENT DETECTED
Line Length (DN) 3306
Line Length (DP) 3306

Workplace and Radius
WP Product: WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Standard Stability, Auto Interleaving
WP Profile: Generic Speed 1600 Time Out
Ellacoya: Service_Offer_59
Connected for 1:6:46
1 drops in last 24 hours
8 drops in last 72 hours
2 of 27 (7%) User Req Drops in last 7 days

I would not mind paying extra to get fibre, however with already halfway through my 12 month phone/broadband contract, I really do not feel comfortable to start a new 18 month fibre contract. Hopefully they can change my line to fibre for the next 6 month until my current contract finishes. 
ian007jen
Rising Star

Fault Threshold Rate  3635

PlusNet should be able to get an engineer out ...you are connected below the FTR
Keep on at them
platium
Dabbler

Plusnet has sent engineers to my house twice, one in December, one in January. They all say fault on my line has been cleared. No wiring problem found inside the property either.
RouterStat program showed in the past 10 hours, both sync speed and SNR margin are flatlines at 1760 kbps and 6db
There is also the Bits&SNR tone graph that I do not understand.